Optical Image Stabilzation On? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Optical Image Stabilzation On?

Just wondering whether it's a good idea to turn on OIS (as my HVX200 calls it) when using the Steadicam. I'm guessing most pros leave it off, but thought I'd ask anyway.

TIA
Ted Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Nope, leave it off, just as you would on any other stable camera mount.

- Mikko
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

In the manual it states there is no harm leaving this enabled, particularly for zoom shots.
I've not read a good reason why to turn it off?
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Trustee

When the optical stabilisation is on,the camera tries to decide what is unintentional movement,ie shaking,this is ok when you holding the cam in your hand,however when you're using a tripod,when you start panning,for the first part of the pan the cam will try to work out if it's an unintentional shake,when it realises it's not it'll try and "catch up".Put you cam on a tripod and pan left and right,with stabilisation on and off,you should see a difference,i know i can on my cam.
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Trustee

Take control of your shots by leaving everything you can on manual. No electronics deciding what you intend to shoot. OIS is really only effective if you are shooting stable scenes and held at extreme telephotos...and don't want it to look quite as handheld as it will end up looking without the OIS.

Any movement in the scene can potentially cause the OIS to decide that that is supposed to be the stable part of the shot and it'll snap to following that object until it reaches the edge of its ability to follow, or the object clears up enough of the frame for the OIS to decide that it wants to use the background as the object to lock onto as stable.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

the steadicam alone should provide sufficient stabilisiation, if there is still some jerky movement in a sequence you absolutely want to keep it´s probably a better idea to stabilise in post - if you sacrifice 10% of your resolution you can stabilise pretty much anything.
I´d also guess that OIS would probably cause visible stickyness when panning, at least on my old xl1 it did.
Thomas Weilguny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)