Merlin Vest and Arm advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old February 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Merlin Vest and Arm advice

I've been using a merlin for a while with a Sony Z1, and a PD150/JR before that and am thinking about getting the vest and arm to go with it. recently shot 2 hours of merlin stuff at a gig and whilst I'm pleased with the results, my arm was shaking by the end! So, a few questions...

Regarding operating, is the technique similar to the handheld method? Easier or more difficult to master? BTW, I tried a full size rig a while back and I could hardly lift it let alone use it!! Take my hat off to all pro operators everywhere - I have huge admiration for those guys running up and down the touchline at football matches!!

Is the merlin arm & vest the same as the pilot. If so, I thought I could start with the merlin and upgrade to the pilot sled later? Is this possible?

Finally, anyone know the best supplier in the UK for steadicam kit.

Many thanks for any help offered!
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Major Player

I only very recently acquired the Merlin Arm & Vest, and I couldn't be more pleased.

As far as operating, it is very much the same, although it is modified slightly. For me the left hand operation is identical, whilst the right hand enjoys a subtler approach since it is guiding instead of supporting the rig. The body, of course, in involved too, and can be used to affect shots.

And like all things Steadicam, practice, practice, practice!

The Arm & Vest for the Pilot are identical to the Merlin version, with the exception of the post. I contacted Tiffen and asked about an upgrade path, buying just the sled and post, and at this time they have no plans to offer this.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)