Steadicam Pilot - Getting Started Q & A - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old March 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #31
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
I have this: http://www.allthings.com.au/Catalogu...%20set%204.htm
It's the size and weight of a box of matches.
Nick
Can you tell us about your experience with the units so far in the field? They look very nice and I thank you for sharing the link.
Pierre DuCharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #32
Major Player

I havn't used it yet, waiting to get it back tomorrow after having the power cord modified so I can supply power from the Pilot, also having the video cable shortened. It was recommended to me by Phil Balsdon, who used it on the Australian version of "So You Think You Can Dance" - with good results.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #33
Wrangler

Chaps, also check out Supercircuits.com who have a wide selection of transmitters of this type, some very reasonably.
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM   #34
Major Player

So I got my Steadicam Pilot AA battery mount last week. (Bought it at B&H)

When opening the box there's was no backpack. I discovered a card. It said :

While we are happy you have chosen this product, we must apologize for a missing item, the Steadicam Pilot's Custom Carry Case.

Due to manufacturing difficulties beyond our control, our latest shipment of carry cases has been delayed.

But, you will receive your carry case, as well as a gift from us to thank you for your patience.

Simply call or e-mail our Custumor Service Department, and we will ship your case at no charge to you the moment stock arrives.

So I did e-mail them, mentioning all the serial numbers. This was last week. Still no answer. I feel disappointed.
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Presley View Post
So I got my Steadicam Pilot AA battery mount last week. (Bought it at B&H)

When opening the box there's was no backpack. I discovered a card. It said
So I did e-mail them, mentioning all the serial numbers. This was last week. Still no answer. I feel disappointed.
Yeah, I put in an order for some Pilot accessories and it took them a while to ship. From what I can tell, they are kind of swamped with unexpectedly high Pilot sales. Steadicam seems like a boutique type company, geared toward low volume high-end sales. The Pilot is probably their first medium volume product.

You'll probably have better luck calling them. This way, you can get a more specific answer on when the backpack will ship, and maybe you can also find out what your options are for the gift.

On the bright side, it looks like you have all you need to start practicing (assuming you have the stand). It usually takes a couple of weeks of practice before you'd want to use it anyway. If you have questions, post them here.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
The one issue I have had is a 'squeek' which I have confirmed is coming from significant movement up and down or back and forth. The 'squeek' is coming largely from the hinges, ...
Now that I've gotten the weight up to 10 lbs, I'm getting the exact same sound from my Pilot arm as well. Which hinges are squeaking? I'll try some white grease on them and let you know how it works.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
Now that I've gotten the weight up to 10 lbs, I'm getting the exact same sound from my Pilot arm as well. Which hinges are squeaking? I'll try some white grease on them and let you know how it works.
Hey Dave,

Could you email Steadicam that issue. The told me that I was the only one having that issue. My squeak sounds like this http://droptodesign.com/test/pilot/

I ended up getting some lubricant you put on car breaks. I haven't tested in a quiet room yet, but when I did grease it, it was better. I also bought some o-rings to put on the hinge, I plan to try them out soon.

But do email Steadicam, so they can keep track of the issue and see what's up with their design.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
The Pilot has a 12v DC output on the front of the top stage, shown on the 2nd page of the manual.
Hey Charles,

Thanks for that advice. I had Frezzi make me an adapter using my plug and their D female. Hehe, and 65 bucks later, I have my power to the top of the sled.

Since the adapter is only 2 inches or so in length, that would be the shortest 65 bucks I've ever spent.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM   #39
Major Player

Pilot arm noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Dave,

Could you email Steadicam that issue. The told me that I was the only one having that issue...
I seem to have fixed it with some white grease on the hinges with vertical pins running through them. The worst offenders seemed to be the 2 hinges closest to the vest - not the one with the trim threads, but the next two out from there.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but I have heard you can make a bearing out of 2 dissimilar metals. It could be that the problem here has to do with the brass bearing resting up against the paint of the aluminum bracket. So instead of brass against aluminum, you've got brass against black paint. Just a guess.

Anyway - Yes I will email Steadicam on the issue. What is the email address for this type of issue?
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
I seem to have fixed it with some white grease on the hinges with vertical pins running through them. The worst offenders seemed to be the 2 hinges closest to the vest - not the one with the trim threads, but the next two out from there.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but I have heard you can make a bearing out of 2 dissimilar metals. It could be that the problem here has to do with the brass bearing resting up against the paint of the aluminum bracket. So instead of brass against aluminum, you've got brass against black paint. Just a guess.

Anyway - Yes I will email Steadicam on the issue. What is the email address for this type of issue?

techsupport@tiffen.com Tell them to make sure Dan sees your email. Use my name, he'll remember.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM   #41
Major Player

OK, I sent them an email.

By the way, the white grease like I used is available here:
http://www.amazon.com/AGS-Lith-Ease-.../dp/B000GKTZ5K

This stuff seems to last forever.
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM   #42
Trustee

Does the integrated backpack come standard with the Pilot?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:03 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Does the integrated backpack come standard with the Pilot?
With the Pilot - yes, with the Co-Pilot - no.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM   #44
Trustee

Wow sounds like the bag is missing with the shipments! Not good! Anyone had the same problem? BTW, is it possible to use the pilot handheld without the monitor? The handle doesnt look like it is possible but I still have to find out if anyone has tried. Thks!

Last edited by Sean Seah; April 3rd, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
BTW, is it possible to use the pilot handheld without the monitor? The handle doesnt look like it is possible but I still have to find out if anyone has tried. Thks!
Do you mean using the sled without the vest and arm, and then removing the monitor and batteries? I think a Merlin would be better for that.

In general, I've never heard of using parts of the Pilot. The Vest and Arm only take a minute or so to get into (once you're used to it). Without the monitor at the bottom of the sled it would be harder to see the ground you are walking over and the camera image at the same time.

The Pilot doesn't really collapse down much like the Merlin. The Pilot backpack/carry-case is big, much larger than the pictures lead you to belive. Why would you want to lug all of that around and then not use most of it? Also, since the Pilot post is carbon-fiber, I wouldn't want to bring it anywhere without some sort of case.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)