Steadicam Pilot - Getting Started Q & A - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #61
Regular Crew

LANC Control on Steadicam Pilot

I was watching a webcast on MacVideo ( http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-techno...ticleid=100761 ) where Garrett Brown is being interviewed and he talkes about new accessories for the Pilot such as LANC control @ 7:26 in the clip. Any one heard anything else about this or other accessories?
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #62
Trustee

I was thinkin if buying the Pilot first followed by the other way may be an issue too if the arm doesnt fit. I noticed the Pilot arm has a short stud while the Merlin arm seem to have a longer and bent stud.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
Let me know how it works when you get it back and what it looks like they did. Mine seems to be working without any noise at the moment using the white grease, but if there is a factory mod that eliminates this issue altogether, then I'm interested.
Dave, it seems to be better, I don't hear the noise. When they got it from me, they said, it was tweaked and they replaced some of the hardware.

I was supposed to get an email regarding what they did exactly, but I haven't gotten it. Either way, there was something or somethings wrong with it. I had about a two week turnaround.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
I was thinkin if buying the Pilot first followed by the other way may be an issue too if the arm doesnt fit. I noticed the Pilot arm has a short stud while the Merlin arm seem to have a longer and bent stud.
You can buy the Merlin arm post here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Arm_Post.html

You can also buy the Pilot arm stud here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Arm_Post.html

So whatever one you buy, you can switch to the other one for less than $50.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM   #65
Trustee

Ah thanks for the info!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #66
Regular Crew

what a great thread...

I've been looking for quality information on the pilot, and I think I hit the motherload.

Has anybody here used both a steadicam and a glidecam in the same weight class? I'm looking to use several different cameras around 2-5 pound range.

Any comments on pros/cons between the two rigs?

Thanks
Tyler Schlombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #67
Wrangler

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...833#post887833

(also try searching under "pilot"--your mother lode will further reveal itself!)
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Charles,

Thanks for replying so fast. I have been looking in these forums for quite a while now, and I realize most of the information has come from you directly.

You say that the steadicam uses iso-elastics instead of springs for tension. Is there ever a benefit to using springs?
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #69
Wrangler

Uh...I did??! Please link to thread where I suggested that so I can correct it!

The Pilot (and all models above it) use springs in the arm to achieve iso-elasticity, which essentially means that the tension is uniform throughout the boom range (or as close to it as possible). Many of the competitive units out there have much less uniformity, resulting in a bouncier arm that requires more force to raise or lower.
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #70
Regular Crew

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...ighlight=pilot
post #8

"The arm is pretty sleek looking but functionally it is not different than their previous arms, or the Indicam arm; a single set of springs attached to a fixed point in each section. This design is economical but it only creates the appropriate tension at the center point of its travel; once you boom up and down it "wants" to return to the center point, adding a certain amount of bounciness to the shot. This can be overcome by the operator but it is a whole different animal than the iso-elastic designs being used by the Tiffen Steadicams or the canister system used by GPI, which demonstrate the same lift characteristic throughout their range."

It is very possible I am just confused.
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #71
Wrangler

Thanks Tyler, I've reworded that post slightly.

Confusion is perfectly acceptable; my understanding of the engineering behind the various models of stabilizer arms is rudimentary at best. Basically enough to get by as an operator...! I just know a good arm when I use it (and conversely, a bad one). Some 12 years ago I attended the unveiling of the PRO arm which was really the first one that demonstrated truly smooth operation, and I was ready to write a check ($22K!) right then and there. The Pilot arm, like it's big brothers, has a very similar feel and for a fraction of the cost, and capacity, of course.
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess my question needs rephrasing as well. I have seen the difference between the "springs only" models and the "springs with iso-elastic technology." The ones with iso-elastic seem to stay where they are put when boomed up and down. From what I have read, they are much easier to boom, and cause less strain on the wrist.

So, what I was trying to ask was, when would the "non-iso-elastic" apparatuses be beneficial? (besides the cost)
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #73
Major Player

Charles,

Do you ever work on the East coast? Do you need a PA?
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Schlombs View Post
The ones with iso-elastic seem to stay where they are put when boomed up and down.
Not really. The Steadicam brand arms just boom very smoothly.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #75
Trustee

EX1 RCA Cable Question.. I like to know how u guys with the EX1 connect the LCD screen to the EX1. I noticed the connector is not the same as the Z1. Its some special conn. DO u buy the original n cut it short? Or is the conn available out there?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)