Steadicam Pilot - Getting Started Q & A - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #121
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
What exactly were you thinking to shoot at 300mm on any type of Steadicam...?!!
Wow.. 300mm is pretty much for this. By the way, I can use the pilot with my A1 and Sgblade (with flip module) + rails + nikon 50mm without too much trouble. However, it's too heavy for the Pilot for sure.

I have a quick question here. I know that the Pilot comes with BNC to RCA adapter but the A1 use 3.5mm video input on its rear. So can I use RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect A1 to the Pilot LCD? Something like Cables To GO 3.5MM Stereo Male To RCA Female Adptr: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag
Oglutte Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #122
Wrangler

The A1 also has a BNC output on the side.
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #123
Tourist

I've never notice that before. Thank you so much Charles!
Oglutte Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #124
Regular Crew

Pilot Monitor Inputs

What inputs does the monitor on the Pilot use? I'd be using the Pilot with a Sony EX-1.
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
What inputs does the monitor on the Pilot use? I'd be using the Pilot with a Sony EX-1.
Composite. See here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...or-signal.html
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #126
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'd prefer the component signal only 'cuz I'm already using that kind of monitor. Does Steadicam offer to substitute the monitor for one with different inputs? I guess I could always replace their monitor with mine (which uses component inputs) and replace the cabling. Not an option I'd like to do if I'm paying $3500+ for the unit.

Great thread, by the way. Thanks for all the info and "discoveries".
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #127
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
I'd prefer the component signal only 'cuz I'm already using that kind of monitor. Does Steadicam offer to substitute the monitor for one with different inputs?
No steadicam offers component video monitors - too many wires down the shaft. I'm almost certain Steadicam & all other brands use a single wire for video. So your choices are: 1) Analog composite, 2) Digital SDI, or 3) Digital HD-SDI. Note that options 2 & 3 are expensive.

For steadicam use, analog composite is generally good enough. The most important aspect of a steadicam monitor is how it performs in bright sunlight, so nits and anti-glare coatings are more important than the number of pixels or other specs.

Another issue is wireless video. You don't wan't other people crowding around you trying to see the monitor as you are operating the steadicam, so a wireless video transmitter is really good to have. Composite wireless systems start under $200. HD-SDI wireless systems costs many thousands of dollars.

As an example, the RED One camera only outputs high definition digital video (HD-SDI), and most professional steadicam operators still use composite video wireless & monitor, so a standard part of most professional operators kit is a downcoverter to work with the RED One.
AJA | HD10MD3 Miniture Digital Downconverter | HD10MD3 | B&H
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #128
Wrangler

A few thoughts:

There are actually component video monitors out there on Steadicams, specifically the Tiffen units (the Ultrabrite, and I'm not sure which other ones). They have been offering component since before HD-SDI became a common standard. Quite a number of their rigs are now HD-compatible with integrated HD monitors and wiring. A number of other manufacturers offer HD wiring in the sled and HD monitors (generally third party).

It's true that a lot of us still use our SD CRT's which are still the ones to beat outside, but the LCD panels are coming along. We are having a monitor shootout next weekend to evaluate these, as a matter of fact. With very few operators untouched by HD cameras these days, it's becoming more of a "thing" to be able to monitor a higher res and color image.

Few Steadicam operators have traditionally owned downconverters as a standard part of their package, but that is changing fast as the price drops and new models emerge. I am now repping the Redbyte Decimator, which for $395 does as good a job as the $1000+ AJA, and is both smaller and lighter. The unfortunate irony of course is that as we move to HD monitors, there is less of a need for a downconverter--what are you going to do.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #129
Major Player

Quote:
There are actually component video monitors out there on Steadicams, specifically the Tiffen units (the Ultrabrite, and I'm not sure which other ones). They have been offering component since before HD-SDI became a common standard.
Didn't know that. As always, you're a wealth of information.

Quote:
It's true that a lot of us still use our SD CRTs which are still the ones to beat outside, but the LCD panels are coming along. We are having a monitor shootout next weekend to evaluate these, as a matter of fact.
Great! I'm hoping to read another one of your excellent reviews!

Quote:
I am now repping the Redbyte Decimator, which for $395 does as good a job as the $1000+ AJA, and is both smaller and lighter.
Wow! First you show us where to buy cheap wireless video, then you review a good wireless follow-focus system for way less, and now a better downconverter for way less. All the pieces are falling into place. You're making me want to buy a big rig.

BTW: How would you think the Hocus Focus unit would work with a RED One?

Quote:
The unfortunate irony of course is that as we move to HD monitors, there is less of a need for a downconverter--what are you going to do.
Don't you still need a downconverter for SD wireless video? I've heard HD wireless is really pricey.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #130
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
BTW: How would you think the Hocus Focus unit would work with a RED One?
Quite nicely for those who are using still camera lenses. It doesn't have enough throw to manage some of cine lenses that require more rotations of the barrel (or have more torque).

Quote:
Don't you still need a downconverter for SD wireless video? I've heard HD wireless is really pricey.
Yes, good point. The IDX system is about $6K and the upcoming Boxx is about $1500 more than that. Great looking transmission though, super clean.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #131
Regular Crew

The poor Hocus Focus guys. Their site must be getting pummeled now, and still no update on their market launch date.
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #132
Wrangler

I'm in regular contact with Peter Hoare, the inventor of the HoFo. The latest upgrades are coming along nicely and it's a smart move that he hasn't announced a release date until he knows he can deliver (how many startups have you seen that have had to backpedal and continually push their dates). It will be worth the wait, it's looking solid.
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #133
Regular Crew

Quote:
(how many startups have you seen that have had to backpedal and continually push their dates). It will be worth the wait, it's looking solid.
Startups? He's showing more marketing savvy than Palm by hardening his 1.0 release and working on robust delivery. I'm pleased it's getting closer; a constant thread of good news helps keep us on the hook. I've not gotten any word from their mailing list since your post about them at NAB. That you're serving as that thread is, to quote an ex-felon, a good thing.
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
We are having a monitor shootout next weekend to evaluate these, as a matter of fact. With very few operators untouched by HD cameras these days, it's becoming more of a "thing" to be able to monitor a higher res and color image.
Who won? ......
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #135
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
The monitor should have a bubble level. The first thing I did when I got my Pilot is velcro one at the monitor base.
I am having a devil of a time trying to find a bubble level similar to yours... anyone seen a place online to buy one like Nicks?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)