DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Small Camcorder Stabilizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/115565-small-camcorder-stabilizer.html)

Dave Eaton February 23rd, 2008 09:59 AM

Small Camcorder Stabilizer

This one, Hague Mini Motion-Cam, seems to be getting popular with Canon HV20 owners. I'm even considering one for my Sanyo HD700, that is after I get my Steadicam JR setup and decent at using it -- so in five years of daily use I should be about ready.

Smaller and more capable looking than the Manfrotto Modosteady from what I've seen (videos and other models further down the page), approx. $150 delivered to the U.S.:

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Camcorder%2...zer%20HCS3.htm

This is a 2nd run sample from a new owner that has no previous stabilizer experience: http://www.vimeo.com/710094 his first run wasn't bad but had a lot of side-to-side motion.

Brian Boyko February 28th, 2008 05:34 PM

I'm seriously considering it, but I'd like to know if I can get anything that I won't have to ship to the U.K. if it breaks.

Brian Boyko March 4th, 2008 10:45 AM

I'm currently bidding on a used Steadicam Jr - if I lose the auction, I'll probably order a Hague tomorrow.

Brian Boyko March 4th, 2008 04:12 PM

I took the plunge and bought it. Will use it with my HV20 and will upload some test footage to Vimeo.

-- Brian.

Dave Eaton March 4th, 2008 08:20 PM

There's several people on the forum with them. Do a search and get some ideas and tips. Good luck!

Later...

Hmm. Maybe I misread, Brian. Did you get the Hague or the Steadicam JR?

Gerry Gallegos March 4th, 2008 08:25 PM

So ... youre the one who outbid me?........

congrats!

Guess ill have to get a Merlin now.

Dave Eaton March 4th, 2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Gallegos (Post 837492)
So ... youre the one who outbid me?........

congrats!

Guess ill have to get a Merlin now.

There's been several Steadicam JRs on ebay, I bought mine there. There's three there right now.

Brian Boyko March 9th, 2008 04:10 AM

No, I got outbid.

I ordered a Hague direct, and I'm not underwhelmed, but I'm not overwhelmed either. It works perfectly with a CanonHV20.

But there's a problem.

It does NOT work perfectly with a CanonHV20 and ATR-55 Microphone with shock mount. :(

Quite frankly, when you put in the CanonHV20 and ATR-55, that places you over the 4 pound limit - just slightly. I was unable to get it to balance.

Luckily I still had some parts from my "build your own stabilizer" build and I basically had an L bracket that I drilled a hole in. I put that on the stabilizer for extra weight. I THINK I've got it right but I seem to be at that point where if you remove a small weight you end up with it tipping over, but if you don't remove it, it sways too much from side to side. The one thing I KNOW I can't do is the jumping in front of the mirror trick, it's just bobbling.

I guess it's still usable. I think the Steadicam Jr. would have worked better but A) I really don't like E-bay. B) I really don't like e-bay.

I'm glad I have it if a shot ever calls for it, and it does improve the shot, (maybe it'll look "perfect" after Apple Final Cut Pro's "smoothcam?") but if I can use a tripod or a dolly, I will.

Charles Papert March 9th, 2008 12:41 PM

There are a few issues with that Hague unit that I can determine from the pictures.

One, I don't see anywhere to adjust the balance side to side, which is critical if one is to achieve a balanced rig.

Two, the literature indicates a ball and socket assembly rather than a true three axis gimbal--if this is the case, it will likely present friction that will make it difficult at best to get truly smooth shots.

Three, I don't know where you are supposed to control the camera itself from--there is no place to rest the fingers above the pivot point. The images show the operator using one hand, which will allow the camera to pan or tilt as it sees fit.

I would welcome an owner to point out the solutions or corrections to these notes.

Brian Boyko March 10th, 2008 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 839636)
There are a few issues with that Hague unit that I can determine from the pictures.

One, I don't see anywhere to adjust the balance side to side, which is critical if one is to achieve a balanced rig.

Two, the literature indicates a ball and socket assembly rather than a true three axis gimbal--if this is the case, it will likely present friction that will make it difficult at best to get truly smooth shots.

Three, I don't know where you are supposed to control the camera itself from--there is no place to rest the fingers above the pivot point. The images show the operator using one hand, which will allow the camera to pan or tilt as it sees fit.

I would welcome an owner to point out the solutions or corrections to these notes.

Adjusting the balance from side to side is possible - the weights are connected via a movable extension which can be loosened and tightened.

It is connected via a ball-and-socket assembly, that's correct. I've had no trouble with friction however.

You can control the camera by putting light pressure on the ball socket which keeps it pointed in the right direction. But you're right, it seems like a kludge.

It's better than what I had and not as good as a Steadycam Jr., but as I said, I hate E-bay.

Peter Moretti March 19th, 2008 03:05 AM

So is the consensus that the Stedicam Merlin will work with a bare HV-20?

Thanks!

Adrinn Chellton March 19th, 2008 04:19 AM

Well my HG10(HDD version of HV20) works very well with the Merlin. Other than being a bit light and skittish to control that is.

Peter Moretti March 19th, 2008 05:21 AM

I'm surprised someone doesn't make a weighted plate that can attach to the bottom of a camera. It doesn't have to be too heavy, just a pound or two.

Gustavs Repse June 9th, 2010 06:09 AM

Hey. Il rather resurrect this thread instead of making a new one .

Any one have had experience with Kodak Zi8 with this stedicam?

There is not much of a test footage on Youtube or vimeo, so I'm not quite sure if the zi8 will act stable on the HAGUE Mini Motion-Cam .

Do you think that Zi8 will behave as all the other cameras on it ? Due to its tall ,phone like structure.

The Kodak Zi8 weight with battery is 121 grams. Hague MMC recommended camera weight is 0.3 kg -0.8 :(