Sony Z1 with WA on a merlin? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Z1 with WA on a merlin?

Hi All

Previously I used a JR with a PD150 and a wide-angle, and upgraded to a merlin/Z1 combination. When I bought it, I knew a wide-angle lens would take it way over the merlin's weight limit, so didn't bother but particularly indoors, a wide would be so useful - it also makes inexperienced shots look better!

Well now I've got the arm/vest and upgraded gimbal for the merlin (what a beautiful piece of kit BTW - really well engineered) and wondered whether I could now add a sony WA lens. I use NP-F960 batteries (the big ones). The camera weighs in at 6lbs at the moment and the W/A is another 19oz so it should be less than the weight limit for the merlin (7.5lbs).

My question, has anyone done this?
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Graham, I can't see why it would not balance, of course you need to add the extra weights supplied. I would open the arc all the way to start off with.
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Nick

That's my thought too... the Z1 quick release plate is right at the front of the stage so the extra weight of the WA will allow this to be moved back a bit... I'll also use the extra weights from the arm kit... I'll get the WA and try it I think!

Incidentally, the new gimbal is much freer than the old one so balance seems much more critical - it also seems that balance with the arm and vest is more critical as you can't compensate as much with your "supporting" hand...

Is this right or am I doing something wrong?
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree, the metal gimbal balance does seem more critical. It's just a matter of getting used to the balance/trim process.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again Nick

Ordered a Sony WA lens today and it will be with me Wednesday. Been on a shoot since 6am this morning so no Merlin practice today! I'll let you know how I get on with the WA...

Have you got your pilot yet?
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Let me know what you think of the WA lens, I've heard that for the money you pay it doesn't really make that much more difference. I have had the Pilot for a week now but havn't been able to pratcice much, I have a huge editing backlog. I shot a wedding on the weekend and I did get to use it though, Charles is right, it really does behave like a big rig. My main issue is that the trim controls on the Pilot and Merlin are at opposite positions, gets a bit confusing!!
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Major Player

I would love to see some footage that you have shot with your Pilot Nick. And to hear what you think of it, when you have time for it.

I use my WA lens for shooting real estate. When there is a small room to shoot, I need all the extra view I can get, because of the 16:9 image. But with the Steadicam I don't need the WA. Also, the barrel distortion becomes to much visible when moving around. And I still haven't found a good working balance for the Z1 and WA lens on the Merlin.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Derran, the Pilot is...well...awesome!! Will post some footage soon. Got a quote for an Archer rig. Ouch!
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Derran
Just out of interest - which WA lens do you have? I've got the Sony one coming today and will then try to balance on the Merlin! I'll let you know how I get on...
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
... Got a quote for an Archer rig. Ouch!
So it's either that or a new car? :)

Graham, I also have the Sony WA (0.8 wide converter). It's a great quality lens and I'm sure you will like it!
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)