DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   The DIY challenge... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/115775-diy-challenge.html)

John Stakes January 13th, 2009 10:45 AM

now THAT is one sexy rig. Thankyou for sharing this great bit of your success.

JS

Gert-Leon Vanlier February 12th, 2010 08:02 AM

Dimensions

Hello,

I'm very impressed by your design. Very nice.
Could you post some dimensions of your design? I'm planning to make my own steadicam, based on your design.

Thanks in advance,
GL Vanlier

David L. Holmes February 12th, 2010 01:12 PM

Sorry, but I do not have any detailed plans for my rig. All parts were machined on-the-fly. Quite a bit of the rig was designed by what parts we had available, so to duplicate it would be a challenge.

Warren Kawamoto February 12th, 2010 06:00 PM

David,
I applaud your effort in making your own steadicam-like device. However, after seeing your photos of the lower sled, I think you may experience a problem. The length from the front tip to the back of your lower sled is too long. When flying a camera, it's best to keep the rig as close to your body as possible. Many times you'll have to turn the camera as you're shooting. With the sled that long, you'll end up hitting your legs as you try to rotate the camera. Try shortening the overall length front to back.

Charles King February 15th, 2010 03:41 AM

Hey David. How come I do not have any pics of your system up on HBS? Hint Hint.

Dana Salsbury May 3rd, 2010 05:11 PM

Hi David,

I'm looking at the X-10 at $2000 vs trying to make an arm myself. Your wood prototype and video makes it look doable, but I was wondering how complicated it got for you.

I was looking at a windsurfing hook belt and thinking that it might be an inexpensive way to incorporate an arm for a DLSR system I built from D. Eric Franks: DIY Steadicam - Flying Camera Support. Thoughts?

Nuno Ferreira February 24th, 2011 10:28 AM

Re: The DIY challenge...

Just found this thread. Too bad David never posted the arm build as he did with the other parts. I would love to see how it turned out. Don’t you have any pics from the arm?
One quick question David. Being a homebuilt rig, does it work ok?

Terry Thompson March 4th, 2011 12:21 PM

David,

Just checking in to see how you major build is going?
We are all impressed that you have done so much.
Now we want to see some video of your rig in action when you can shoot some.

Tery

David L. Holmes March 16th, 2011 08:38 PM

Hey Gang,

Still here. Been a busy little boy with my new little boy :) I have been itching to get back to the rig and finish the arm, hopefully by summer. I have switched cameras to a Canon HFS100, so it's quite a bit lighter, but still to heavy to hold it handheld. As soon as I get some new stuff I will post it immediately. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts :)

Peter Chung April 7th, 2011 08:41 AM

Just revisited this thread and was wondering how you came up with the iso-elastic design of your arm.

Peter Chung April 7th, 2011 11:32 AM

Also, can you make adjustments for different loads or how would you make it work with different configurations?

David L. Holmes April 7th, 2011 10:57 PM

Hey Peter,

That design is not mine, I just copied it from a different site your familiar with (HBS group). I wont be using that arm, I'm not going to be able to tinker with the project enough to try to perfect it so I'll be going with just a standard arm. My idea is to have a sliding block that will be threaded so I can micro adjust the amount of tension I will need to fly my camera. It's still a ways off, but I am thinking more and more about the design every day, so maybe I can get a prototype done soon. Keep in touch!

Dave

Peter Chung April 12th, 2011 12:20 PM

I found the thread at HBS, thanks!

What is wrong with that arm that has made you abandon it? Your demo video is quite impressive vs the non-iso-elastic Steadicam arm on my Pilot... the Pilot arm doesn't stay in place but always wants to go back to it's equilibrium point.

Serggio Lamas March 24th, 2013 09:55 AM

David looking fon gimbal only,your gimbal is nice ( Gimbal (3).jpg) how much the gimbal only?

Larry Vaughn May 5th, 2013 06:13 PM

David, do you sell the gimbal and handle assembly?