Glidecam 2000 pro with Sony HC7/HC9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old March 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam 2000 pro with Sony HC7/HC9

I am looking at purchasing the Glidecam 2000 pro for my new Sony HC9 (same body as HC7). Is there anybody who uses this stabilizer with their HC7/HC9 or similar sized cams? I would like to hear what your experience with this product has been and whether or not it is any good.

Thanks for your response.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Trustee

take a look at the next post, there is a page
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Camcorder%2...zer%20HCS3.htm
that would work better,
I used to have similar to glidecam unit, I'd say it's to big for the HC9, but if you like the look and ergonomics, go ahead, it won't be too heavy and with a litle practice you'll get a nice looing video,
way back I used to balance with FX1, but if handheld, that's heavy.
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Antonie,

You might look at a Steadicam JR (or similar) as well as the HC9 is very light. We can fly down to 1/2 pound cameras handheld on our sled because we have a movable gimbal which lets the center of gravity move appropriately but the GC doesn't.

If you still want to use the GC2000, you mnight have to put some kind of weight plate on the camera stage to make it heavier and offset the bottom plate. I could be wrong and the GC2000 might work just fine.

+++++++++++++++++++++

---> OK, I just got back from trying out a GC2000 with a 1 1/2 pound weight and it looks like it might work if you take off all the bottom weights and lower the extension post somewhat so you can get a proper drop time.

The Glidecam 2000 has a smooth gimbal and since your camera weight is light you should be in business. You will still notice your arm hurting if you are shooting straight for any real length of time...i.e. a couple of minutes.

You should look into a forearm support like what is sold for tennis elbows. It helps.

There are a lot of rigs out there for exclusively for small camera so do your research.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)