Steadicam Pilot Max Weight?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Steadicam Pilot Max Weight??

I have added just under 10 lbs of weight to the rig, which includes the battery and the arm won't support it, hangs down at a sharp angle. Can anyone else with a Pilot please verify? Yes I have turned the knobs all the way.

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; March 13th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Nick,

The Steadicam Pilot is supposed to support up to 10 pounds so you might have some slight problem. Mikko Wilson is the one who can answer this question probable the best as he is really into Steadicams. Either he knows the answer or knows someone who knows.

Just for informational purposes only, we have found with our rig that when we balance our arm low and then lift the sled to operating height (which is easy), the steadiness of the picture is usually improved due to the human arm acting as an extra buffer.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info Terry. I contacted Tiffen a few days ago and the rep said he wil look into it, just curious to see what results others are getting.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
I have added just under 10 lbs of weight to the rig, which includes the battery and the arm won't support it, hangs down at a sharp angle. Can anyone else with a Pilot please verify? Yes I have turned the knobs all the way.
I'm very surprised at this. When I first fitted my ~6 lb HVX 200 to the Pilot I had to crank the arm springs way off - I mean *way* off. It was so stiff initially I guessed it would go well beyond 10 lbs, which would be something like what one might expect - some extra "breathing room" in the spec.

I weighed my HVX recently with rails, a Letus Extreme (which is unfortunately very heavy) and a Zeiss 50mm SLR lens at 13.5 lbs. I don't expect the Pilot to handle that, but I'll give it a try and see how close it comes. I'll let you know what I find.
Ted Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

Unfortunately there is a fair amount of deviation in the lift capacity of the springs used for the Pilot and Flyer. Some are "born" stronger than others. This is undoubtedly something that the factory will deny but if you are experiencing less than the rated amount of lift, this should be rectified--all of the arms should lift the rated capacity, it's just that some can lift more than that.
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree, I shoved my Z1, Frezzi battery light and I still had plenty of room to trim down. So it sounds like something is not right.

I have learned that depending on who you are speaking to at Steadicam, you might want to follow up with them. I've been forgotten a couple of times. But they are nice people.

So Charles, if springs are born, are cameras hatched?
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Guys can I have some exact figures of your max weight, thanks. Please include the Pilot battery weight.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #8
New Boot

Nick,

I’ve been setting up my Pilot with 8.5 pounds of gear, plus an Anton Bauer battery (almost 2 pounds) and I still have a small amount of lifting range remaining. Are all the silver weights removed from your rig? Can you post a picture of your set up?

Last edited by Carl Wiedemann; March 16th, 2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo'
Carl Wiedemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks carl. Battery used is a Swit 8080S - 1.85 pounds. Total camera weight including quick release and silver weights is 8.02 pounds. This is the most that the arm will hold without hanging down.
Attached Thumbnails
Steadicam Pilot Max Weight??-dsc01574.jpg  

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; March 16th, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Carl, your carrying a heavier load than me. I will contact Tiffen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)