Merlin question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 27th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Merlin question

Hi,

I purchased my A1 with a Steadicam Merlin last week, as I wanted a stabilizer that could hopefully give me the smoothest shots I could get for under $1000. I plan to be doing a lot of tracking type shots for sporting events, and even some home movies. I realize there's a steep learning curve, as I've been finding that out just practicing through the mountain trails. I've definitely got the up and down bobbing issue perfected I think, as motion sickness has struck me a few times after watching the footage I shot. :)

I guess my question is, did I choose the right stabilizer? I realize everyone has their personal favorite, but if I'm going to be walking or running behind or in front of people on rough terrain, but want to avoid the shaky cam effect as much as possible, was the Merlin the right decision or is there a better alternative in that price range? One thing I've come to realize is that if there's a gust of wind, or if it's just a windy day in general, the Merlin almost becomes impossible to keep steady, at least in my hands, and I plan to be doing a lot of outdoor filming. I'm hoping I didn't make the wrong decision, but now I'm really beginning to wonder.

Thanks,
Brett
Brett Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Trustee

I love Merlin, I think it's just the best value for money you pay, I used to fly merlin handheld with FX1, then with A1 and now EX1 (now with the arm and west); for the A1 (IMO), merlin is perfect, but I'm 200Lb and I could do up to 2 min straight no problem, for shots much longer than that, you might need an arm and vest,
No doubts Brett, A1 is awesome camera and Merlin is the best steadicam for the price, give it 2 -3 weeks of practice, you'll see it for yourself,
don't forget to post some footage,
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Wind is the enemy of all Steadicam operators. It affects all rigs about as much, best thing you can do is - well - get out of the wind.

Wind sucks. Blows. Whatever...

- Mikko

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)