DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Merlin lost part help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/124404-steadicam-merlin-lost-part-help.html)

James Klatt June 23rd, 2008 04:10 PM

Steadicam Merlin lost part help

I lost my dovetail plate(and screws) for my Steadicam Merlin at a shoot recently. :(

I looked at Tiffen's accessories PDF to see how much a replacement is and couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. I saw dovetail plate's for other steadicams, but not the Merlin.

Anybody ever lose this part before? I am trying to figure out how much it costs and how quickly Tiffen ships. I have not had good luck getting an answer from them, so I hope that is not an omen.

Michael Craigs June 25th, 2008 07:55 AM

Hi James,

Feel free to give me a call or email me and we can talk about what parts you lost.

Thanks,
Michael Craigs
Tiffen/Steadicam
800-593-3331 ext. 34
mcraigs@hotmail.com

James Klatt June 25th, 2008 11:19 AM

Fantastic! Michael was very helpful!

Charles Papert June 28th, 2008 09:12 AM

Hi Mike, welcome to DVI! Good to have you onboard.

The Pilot review we talked about will be online here shortly, keep an eye out!

Julian Frost June 29th, 2008 12:05 PM

Hi Charles,

Can't wait to read the review... as I'm very close to purchasing the Pilot. A good review from you would tip me over the edge.

Michael Y Wong July 1st, 2008 11:37 PM

Mike what's going on! Nice to see you on this board (I chatted with you @ NAB & our team visited steadicam factory a month back, we chatted with you and Dan).

Charles, I look forward to your Pilot review.

Michael Craigs July 2nd, 2008 08:22 AM

Hi Charles and Michael,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the board!

-Charles, very excited about the Pilot review. I look forward to reading it.

-Michael, I hope everything is running smoothly for you. I always tell people about the great shots you showed us at the factory.

All the best,
Michael

Charles Papert July 2nd, 2008 09:20 AM

My Pilot review package is still being formatted by our beloved leader Chris and will be up within days (hours? minutes?)--thanks folks, keep an eye out!

James Klatt July 22nd, 2008 04:38 PM

Well, I figured I'd try here again since I haven't had any luck through Tiffen phones & email in getting any responses.

I am the original poster and the replacement dovetail plate I ordered doesn't quite fit onto the Merlin without jimmying or scratching it up. I don't want to do it again since it might break something. Also, the locking pin doesn't even fit through the whole on the dovetail plate. It is too big. The mounting screw is the only thing that works (or is the right size).

I was hoping to get a response here, since I cannot seem to get a response at Tiffen about the wrong parts I was sent.

I have a shoot this weekend, and am freaking out since my Merlin is not operable at this point.

Thanks, -James

Charles Papert July 22nd, 2008 06:38 PM

James, I am talking to folks at the factory tomorrow and I will ask them to check the board here regarding your issue.

Otherwise, in case anyone hasn't seen it already, the Pilot review has been posted at:

http://dvinfo.net/articles/camsuppor...icampilot1.php

James Klatt July 22nd, 2008 07:58 PM

Thanks Charles! I need all the help I can get at this point.

James Klatt July 23rd, 2008 05:08 PM

Man, I am really getting frustrated. I am now almost finished with day 3 of trying to get a hold of anybody at Tiffen that can correct the wrong parts I was sent.

I talk to receptionists who cannot help me or they give me the numbers to extensions that don't answer and don't return my messages.

Same goes for emails.

Charles Papert July 23rd, 2008 07:12 PM

Sorry James, I did talk to Dan at Tiffen but forgot about your predicament, he just got back from vacation today which is why you were having trouble getting through to anyone. Try him tomorrow at ext 17.

James Klatt July 23rd, 2008 09:04 PM

Many thanks, Charles!!

James Klatt July 24th, 2008 11:21 AM

solved. Thanks Michael & Charles!