DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Need advise on newly purchased Merlin (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/127080-need-advise-newly-purchased-merlin.html)

Paul Cox July 31st, 2008 01:28 PM

Need advise on newly purchased Merlin

Hi all. Well after 2 weeks of anticipation waiting for my Merlin steadicam to arrive, it finally made it yesterday, but to my surprise when I opened the box I found that it looked like it had been used, maybe sold before and returned or maybe used as a demo model.

My question is do I return it for a new one? Or except an offered discount on the unit?

The only thing I am worried about is could it be defective and break down.
Are the Merlins pretty rugged and has anybody had any major problems with them?

Some advise and testimonials regarding this matter would greatly influence my decision on this matter. Thanks to all those that respond

Paul Cox

Paul Leung July 31st, 2008 03:19 PM

I will return it. It's a such high-precision machined device. You don't want to get a second hand one unless you know who were using it and how it was used.

The problem is that you can't tell if there is any problem with the Merlin until after you spent quite sometime practicing the moves. By then, it would be too late for a refund.

Noa Put July 31st, 2008 03:29 PM

Well, I don't have a Merlin but doesn't matter what I buy as new, if I see that it has been used it get's a one way ticket back.
How did you see it was used? and can't you go back to the store where you ordered it from or was it an internet order?

Paul Cox July 31st, 2008 04:55 PM

Couple of indications, the holes in the dovetail plate where the mounting screw goes is all worn and the screw itself has definitive screwdriver damage, also some of the parts were scattered in the case and not sealed, paint on the stage was scratched of like the dovetail plate had been sliding back and forth on it.

This was an internet order so I just cant take it back to the store , however they are willing to pay the shipping and send me a new one or they will give me a discount, not sure how much yet they said they will let me know tomorrow.

Noa Put July 31st, 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cox (Post 914878)
This was an internet order so I just cant take it back to the store , however they are willing to pay the shipping and send me a new one or they will give me a discount, not sure how much yet they said they will let me know tomorrow.

That's the way it should be, luckely there still exist companies that take their customercomplaints seriously.

Buba Kastorski August 1st, 2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 914846)
doesn't matter what I buy as new, if I see that it has been used it get's a one way ticket back.

same here,
if you paid for the new you should recieve a new piece;
and please let me know the name of place you got it from (so I'll never deal with those guys)