Glidecam 4000 with 200LP-14 adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Glidecam 4000 with 200LP-14 adaptor

I have a manfrotto 560b monopod and soon a Glidecam 4000. The monopod uses a 200PL-14 plate so I was looking at the manfrotto 323 plate & adaptor to put on the 4000, until I read that the adaptor plate cant be put on anything wider than 60mm as the quick release screw gets in the way so that doesnt seem to be an option.

I could buy two Manfrotto 577 adaptor plates and put on the 'pod and 4000 but then I thought maybe I could (as its cheaper) buy another tilt head (the same as the monopod):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MANFROTTO-...ayphotohosting

and put that on the 4000??? Not sure if the hight of the til head would be a problem on the 400 though...???

Any recommendations? thanks

Last edited by Dan Burnap; August 2nd, 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: addition
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Dan,

Anything, like the tilt head you are talkning about, that moves the camera away from the gimbal will have an effect on the sled's drop time balance. It depends on the weight of the camera you will be using as to whether that effect is smaller or larger.

When any camera it raised (or moved away) from the gimbal such as the tilt head would do, the bottom of the rig will need more weight added to it or the extension post lowered a bit in order to return the sled to a correct drop-time balance. This is because the Glidecam 2000 and 4000 Pro gimbals don't move up or down on the post so you can't make any balance corrections that way. (Thanks to Richard Greb by the way for this clarification).

We use the 577 on our own personal system (see attachment) and would include it on all the sleds that we sell but the quick release plate needs to match up to the tripod that the operator is using. If everyone had a 503 Manfrotto head then there wouldn't be any problems.

I read you post a few times and looked at the picture. I would suggest getting the 577 quick release and mounting plate because you can do fore and aft adjustments on the Glidecam using the 577 dove tail plate. This is much easier than loosening 4 screws and moving the Glidecam camera stage fore or aft. The 577 mount does move the camera slightly higher but not nearly as much as what the tilt head would do.

Tery
Indicam
Attached Thumbnails
Glidecam 4000 with 200LP-14 adaptor-indicammaskednew.jpg  

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com

Last edited by Terry Thompson; August 3rd, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Terry, I shall be mounting a DVX100 on the 4000. I think it's going to be a safer, if not more expensive solution, to get the 377, plus a 501 head (to replace the tilt head) for the monopod.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)