If it can go wrong, it will go wrong!! Pilot Error! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old December 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #46
Major Player

Yup,

I ordered a new one that also had svideo out on it.. leave that with the camera kit.. and modified the one that came with the camera..

Just had a look at my gimbal, and i noticed that when looking at the post with the gimbal handle towards your body.. the left side where the gimbal attaches seemed ever so slightly closer than the right side.. im about 1mm max.. The screw doesn't feel loose, however all i have right now to try and undo the screw are ballpoint pens which dont really do the trick..

Can someone else have a look at their pilot gimbal and see if they notice anything like that.

Dave was this the issue your practice partner had?

Cheers

Joe
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #47
Major Player

Joe,

The gimbal screws, as you know, require a special screwdriver. When I initially had my gimbal problem, Tiffen was considering sending me a one of those screwdrivers, but since I live pretty close to the factory in Glendale, CA, I drove it up there instead. Have you sent an email to Tiffen Technical support?

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #48
Major Player

Hey Julian,

I've contacted both my dealer, and Frank Rush who is Steadicam's Aus/NZ contact.

Have yet to hear back from steadicam.. but have heard back from my dealer. Im not too fussed, and am not expecting to hear anything back till the new year.

In the mean time.. im going to try and find a screw driver like it.. or something similar.

Joe
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #49
Major Player

Found the correct screwdriver for it. The screws seemed slightly loose but not enough to cause any problems... and unfortunately my tightening them didnt make any difference at all!

I resetup the rig again yesterday before i found the screwdriver and discovered that the rig is now doing the whole off horizontal thing.. the same as Julians.. So im very sure its the same problem.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #50
Major Player

Rightyo,

Thought i better give you guys an update on this.. been rather busy but have managed to get the rig fixed.

After a fair few emails back and forth Tiffen sent me the details on how to fix my rig. They also sent over the correct tool to Lemac in Aussie to then forward onto me.

Like i said in a previous post i found the correct type of 2 pinned screwdriver to adjust the gimbal.. and thats what tiffen ended up sending.. (i hadnt mentioned it to them until they told me what they'd sent..)

So anyway, i've managed to fix my gimbal with the instructions Tiffen sent, and now the rig balances fine. I need to have another play and i also need to put some more Loc tight in there so everything is tight.

I wont post the details about the fix on here as im sure its something Tiffen would rather users avoid doing as it can easily mess up your rig if your do it incorrectly.

If anyone has this problem in the future please contact your supplier and Tiffen straight away and they will definitely sort you out.

Cheers to Mike Craigs from Tiffen and Scott Backhouse from Lemac Australia for sorting this out, they've been great!

Now time to get posting some clips.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
I wont post the details about the fix on here as im sure its something Tiffen would rather users avoid doing as it can easily mess up your rig if your do it incorrectly.
Yes, that's probably for the best. But for other folks with this same issue, could you provide the name and phone number of the guy at Tiffen that knows the most about this problem?

There seems to be a lot of other people that have this issue. Tiffen has said they should have used more Loc-Tight at the factory, so there may be a lot more people that we haven't heard from.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #52
Major Player

Just spoke with Mike and he said it was fine for me to post his details.

If anyone has this issue please contact,

Michael Craigs,
Phone 800-593-3331 ex 17
Fax (818) 845-1929
MCraigs@Tiffen.com

Cheers

Joe
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)