DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   best stabilizer for steady walking shots? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/129544-best-stabilizer-steady-walking-shots.html)

Sarah Payton September 7th, 2008 03:40 PM

best stabilizer for steady walking shots?

I need to make a number of smooth walking shots watching/following people on city streets, and wanted to hear what you all would say is the best (user-friendly) stabilizer.

I've done my share of filming but I would never call myself a pro operator and I've never used any sort of stabilizer before. I'm worried about the steep learning curve (not to mention price!) of the Merlin, but wonder if anything else can deliver. Did think Mike Figgis's own shots with the FigRig looked great, and I'm drawn to the DIY versions... By the way wind could be an issue, shooting in Amsterdam in the autumn.

This is my first post and I don't want to ask you all to reinvent the wheel, I've read lots of the threads and there is already so much information here, it's really a fantastic resource. Still, any advice much appreciated!

Sarah Payton September 7th, 2008 03:56 PM

forgot: hc9

forgot to say I'm shooting this with a sony hc9 with wide lens, not a very heavy set up so I'm not that worried about getting tired...

Mark Stavar September 7th, 2008 06:57 PM

best stabilizer for steady walking shots?

For a light camera, a steadicam merlin would be an excellent option.

Ciao,

marks

Frank Simpson September 7th, 2008 09:55 PM

Just as an exercise, last year I decided to do a continuous shot similar to what you describe.

Once a year our town does a big event downtown where all the store move their wares out onto the sidewalks. I started at one end of town and flew my camera through the meandering crowds for about 11 continuous blocks. I used a Merlin and Canon GL2. I did not have a continuous subject to keep framed, I just flew the camera at about chest-height while walking. One of the very cool things was that almost nobody even looked at the camera. I think only 2 people even acknowledged it.

David L. Holmes September 8th, 2008 06:02 PM

Hey Sarah,

Can you get a wheelchair? Try some test runs with one if you can find it. Amsterdam does have quite a few cobble stone roads, which would unfortunately make the journey very bumpy.

How about putting an ad on Craigslist for a free-lance shooter that can work for cheap? Might be better then buying a new rig if you only need it once or twice.

Good luck!

Sarah Payton September 8th, 2008 10:56 PM

Thanks for your answers. The nature of this project means I have to shoot myself, so hiring someone isn't an option. I did think about kneeling or standing on a wheelchair, but the uneven pavement really could be a problem. I think I'm going to get a Merlin. I like the challenge of trying to learn it, and it would be useful in future projects...

Buba Kastorski September 9th, 2008 07:36 AM

Get the Merlin, no doubts, worth every penny,
I ised it from HV10 to EX1, for smaller cameras it's an awesome piece

Ken Steadman September 11th, 2008 09:49 AM

I just shot 30 minutes following people hiking up a mountain with a SR12 and a merlin and the footage looks super smooth, in retrospect it was foolish as I had to step over tons of fallen trees. Make sure you're careful walking backwards. Yes, the Merlin was pretty expensive but I do think it's worth every penny.