DIY Stabilizer...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old September 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Major Player

DIY Stabilizer...?

Would like to know if anyone has built a diy steadicam type of stabilizer? I'd liked to give it a try and hopefully find one that looks somewhat professional. No tin cans on a stick :)

Thanks
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Lisa,

Here is a thread to my post about my build. Unless you have a machine shop handy, it's easier and cheaper to buy a commercial system...

Enjoy :)

p.s. I'll be posting some more updates within a week or so to show off the FINISHED sled!!

Dave

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...challange.html
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Major Player

There's a whole web site dedicated to Homebuilt Stabilizers:
Welcome to HBS!

They also have a forum:
The HBS Group - Index

Hope this helps.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Trustee

I've tried to build one , handheld, for smaller cams and I'd say, to make it look somewhat professional you have to be somewhat professional with the tools, but if we're talking full rig I totally agree with David L Holmes.
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info.

I have a man with machine shop equipment that is willing to help build a unit.

I'm looking at the website for HBS and checking to see which book will work best. Have you read any of the books on their siite or used either of the stabilizers that are represented in the books? I would really like to get one of these built. From what I saw about the books, the system looks pretty good...without seeing footage anyway, just based on the books.

David, I can tell you spent alot of time with your design. I'll keep following your plan as well. Hopefully I will eventually have a stabilizer.

Thanks
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The HBS message board is DEFINATLY the way to go if you are serious about attempting to build one yourself. I've been very fortunate to have my cousin help me along, but after I initially brought this idea to his attention back in January, we have spent 100+ hours working on just the sled...

The books on HBS are the "Cody" plans right? You cant go wrong with them, but even the more cost effective solution requires a precision built Gimbal made with metal machining tools. One guy on the HBS site is actually building his system out of 6061 aluminum using only woodworking tools! Funny thing is, his sled is coming out as the best home-built system ever! I guess it's all about your own talent, know-how, and perseverance.

Consider buying a system, even a moderately priced one, and modifying it to make it better before you try to build one from scratch yourself.

Good Luck,
Dave

Last edited by David L. Holmes; September 20th, 2008 at 05:32 AM.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Old post but what the hell. Lisa, first off, see if you have a budget to buy a system. There are others on HBS who buying budget systems on the basis of modifying what needs to be improved. If you are intended on getting something up and running for a , a purchase or hired system would be best. Remember you have to practice as well. So I always start of a 'I want a stabilizer' thread with How much are you willing to burn? Then work from that.
Take nothing for granted when building. You either in for the long haul or out. ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)