Pilot First impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Major Player

Dave, what is the difference between the one you mention and the 3273?
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
Dave, what is the difference between the one you mention and the 3273?
Looks like the 3273 has a longer plate with the same tripod adapter:
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 3273 Rapid Connect Adapter w/Sliding Mounting Plate (3272): Electronics
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter w/Sliding Mounting Plate (3433PL): Camera & Photo
but that's just looking at the pictures, so I can't be sure.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:52 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
As far as the pilot goes, I've been considering one to use with my XH-A1. Do you all feel it was a good investment?
I don't want to scare anyone off, but I think it's more of an investment in time than most people realize. If you buy a new camera, it may take a week or two to get to know all of the features, but you can usually start shooting basic stuff right away and get good results. Steadicam usually takes weeks or months of practice to get good shots, but the process of learning is enjoyable.

It's kind of like buying a pair of snow skis, and then learning how to ski. I wouldn't call it difficult, but it takes some time to get good, and it's fun. You don't have to be really strong, especially it you have good form and balance, but strength doesn't hurt either. You breathe a little heavy sometimes, but you usually have a smile on your face. Skiing is a good analogy.

If you are on the fence, spend $500 and take the Steadicam 2-day workshop before you buy a steadicam. They provide the steadicams for you to learn on at the workshop. If you take the workshop, and then decide you want to go for it, the stuff you learned at the workshop will put you way ahead of the game. If you take the workshop and then decide it's not for you, then you've only invested $500 and you know a lot more about it if you ever want to hire a steadicam operator.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
I don't want to scare anyone off, but I think it's more of an investment in time than most people realize. If you buy a new camera, it may take a week or two to get to know all of the features, but you can usually start shooting basic stuff right away and get good results. Steadicam usually takes weeks or months of practice to get good shots, but the process of learning is enjoyable.
I agree. Steadicam is not a "works-right-out-of-the-box" type of device. There is a pretty high learning curve but it's a heckuva ton of fun!

Right out of the box, it will still be better than handheld but if you look at a lot of the "first-time-flying-with-my-new-stabilizer" footage, you will notice a lot of bobbing, side-to-side movement, and rolling in the footage.

There is a lot of studying, learning, and getting a feel for how it all works until you get useable and satisfactory footage. As far as learning goes, do a search for all of Charles Papert's posts and you will find a wealth of information and lots of golden nuggets of wisdom and tidbits.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Looks like the 3273 has a longer plate with the same tripod adapter:
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 3273 Rapid Connect Adapter w/Sliding Mounting Plate (3272): Electronics
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter w/Sliding Mounting Plate (3433PL): Camera & Photo
but that's just looking at the pictures, so I can't be sure.
Can anyone verify whether these two quick release adapters are interchangeable?

I have and use the 577 but the 3273 looks longer and costs less(!)
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #21
Major Player

Huh actually i've just released i've got the 3273 and not the 577.. didnt notice the difference in length on the plate. Guess that adds a tiny bit more weight to the top of the sled.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #22
Major Player

Joe, what tripod are you interchanging with your 3273 plate?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #23
Major Player

Im not, im using Miller Tripods, i bought the 3273 just as a quick way of getting the camera off the sled. Its much easier than taking off the top plate.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #24
Major Player

So your camera is dedicated for use only on your Pilot?

Also, when you pack the sled away in the backpack, do you take off the top plate or how are you fitting it back in the case? I'm thinking about cutting some of the foam out so that my quick release adapter with top plate can fit in the backpack.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM   #25
Major Player

No its not dedicated at all.. if im bringing my pilot onto a set than people know there is going to be set rig and derig time.

And even then, once you dock the pilot to the stand, slide the camera off, unscrew 1 screw.. screw in the other adapter with 1 screw im only down 1 minute.. Sounds like we shoot different things.

Yea i got a blade and cut out part of the foam in the bag so i could fit the sled in with the QR plate on.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
Also, when you pack the sled away in the backpack, do you take off the top plate or how are you fitting it back in the case? I'm thinking about cutting some of the foam out so that my quick release adapter with top plate can fit in the backpack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
Yea i got a blade and cut out part of the foam in the bag so i could fit the sled in with the QR plate on.
Yes, I also got a sharp knife and cut out the foam insert of the backpack to fit the tripod adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
Huh actually I've just released I've got the 3273 and not the 577.. didn't notice the difference in length on the plate. Guess that adds a tiny bit more weight to the top of the sled.
If it makes any difference, you can get the smaller plate for $20.
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 3433PL Quick Release Mounting Plate for 501 & 503 Pro Video Heads: Electronics
I'm not sure the weight would make a difference, but it's nice that the 577 has the QR adapter and plate the same length, so you can accurately line them up. This places the mass of the camera on the stage the same way every time, which makes it easier to balance when you unpack the rig.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
If it makes any difference, you can get the smaller plate for $20.
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 3433PL Quick Release Mounting Plate for 501 & 503 Pro Video Heads: Electronics
I'm not sure the weight would make a difference, but it's nice that the 577 has the QR adapter and plate the same length, so you can accurately line them up. This places the mass of the camera on the stage the same way every time, which makes it easier to balance when you unpack the rig.
Dave, do you know for sure whether the 3433PL plate is compatible with the 3273 QR adapter?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM   #28
Major Player

For those interested, i also just found a down converter made by frezzi that takes 12v down to 7.2v. My local camera store had one in stock out the back by chance. Going to buy the right sized plug for my HVX and then a 2.1mm plug for the top of the pilot.

Should work, but will take my pilot in when we make the cable to make sure everything is sweet. The downconverter is about the size of a standard 12v car plug with 2 cables coming out each end, so it doesnt weigh to much and will hopefully tuck nicely under the sled with some gaff.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #29
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
Can anyone verify whether these two quick release adapters are interchangeable?

I have and use the 577 but the 3273 looks longer and costs less(!)
Peter,

I have the 357PL which is the new version of the 3273 and the plates are not interchangeable, its too wide.

Bogen / Manfrotto | 357 Pro Quick Release Adapter with | 357
Kevin Leeyuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)