Swaying from side to side-Why? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Swaying from side to side-Why?

I finally got the Flycam 6000 working with the help of the guys in this forum. Thanks. I am now experiencing a slight side to side swaying motion. My first though is the camera is heavier than the bottom weights, yet I have three packs of weights on the bottom now. I am not sure if I can adjust the gimbal on this unit. There are some set screws that hold it in place. Do I need to move the mass further away, toward the bottom or up closer to the gimbal to stop the swaying. This thing is pretty heavy as it is and I am trying to keep from adding more weight. At 58, I have cancelled my gym membership since I bought this thing!
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Phil Hanna
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Major Player

What's your drop time?
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

drop time

Dave:

I will remeasure it since I added a monitor and support arm. Previous to that it was about 1.5 seconds.
Phil
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Way too quick. Set it for around 3 seconds.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

How is this accomplished?

Thanks, Nick:
I took some of the weights off the bottom and was able to slow the drop rate a bit. Is this better accomplished by moving the gimbal? If I take any more weights off the sled, the camera becomes very squirrelly.
Phil
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Ideally the gimbal sould be as close as possible to the camera - while still allowing room to dock. Drop time can be increased by moving the gimbal or taking weight off the bottom of the sled. I'm not familiar with your rig so I hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)