Modified the Steadicam Pilot vest from velcro straps to buckles - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old November 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #31
Major Player

Thanks, Peter!

Yes, I did sew it myself. Originally I was going to use one of our ultra-super computerized industrial sewing machines at work that we use for, of all things, manufacturing camera straps! But I could never get onto one since they're kept very busy in production.

So I just figured I'd give it a try on my little home sewing machine. It proved to work much better than I would have imagined!

I'll try to take some pictures and post them in the next few days.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #32
Major Player

I just realized that I never followed up with a slight alteration to my configuration.

I discovered that wearing it as shown in my illustrations that the shoulder connections would slowly begin to work their way out, slightly loosening the fit. It was never in danger of coming loose completely, but still a bit of an inconvenience.

So all I had to do was to move the side release buckle that is applied to the shoulder pads on the vest to above the plastic common loop on the pad, rather than below it as shown in the original diagram. Initially I had avoided this as I thought it would not be as comfortable. It turns out I was completely wrong about this point. Now the vest remains absolutely secure, doesn't work itself loose, and still fits as comfortably as ever!
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #33
Trustee

thaz nice. Till today I have not really figured out how those straps work exactly!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #34
Major Player

Great info, just ordered several buckles to make the change as well, a bit later on I will invest in a nice Flyer vest for the Pilot. The Pilot's vest is a bit of a let down for me.
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #35
Contributor

The Pilot and Merlin use the same vest and arms. I have the Merlin and am happy with the vest; I like the smaller size and ligter weight of the arms compared to the bigger units. I used to have a Varizoom big system for a 2/3" chip camera, and everything was pretty heavy even before I got to the camera. In recent years I've become a small chip/light weight aficionado. The velcro was a bit of a pain at first, but I'm accustomed to it now, although I do like the buckles and am considering doing that if I can find the right buckles.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #36
Major Player

Just another update that I "upgraded" from using quick release buckles to using ratchets for quick adjustments, tightening, and release :) It's pretty awesome! I haven't had time to take photos but I can get a pretty good custom fit every time.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #37
Trustee

I have the Flyer, which has stock buckles, but I've noticed that sometimes these buckles squeak and groan when I'm moving. This can be very annoying. Have you noticed this?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #38
Major Player

peter, would love to see some pics of that when you get the time.

looking to get a pilot soon, currently have a smooth shooter which has buckles and its an alright vest. then when i saw the infinatly more expensive pilot i was a bit dissapointed by the vest being this velcro mish mash.
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I have the Flyer, which has stock buckles, but I've noticed that sometimes these buckles squeak and groan when I'm moving. This can be very annoying. Have you noticed this?
Dry Silicon spray gets rid of the squeaks.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #40
Major Player

Danny, remember that the reason for the "velcro mish mash" is to make a vest that is far more versatile than any other. As Tiffen states, the vest can be fitted to a 7-year old child and on up to a 300 lb. linebacker. This is not hyperbole. It is an ingenious design, and it works very, very well. I do happen to like my buckle modified version, but I also know others who prefer the velcro version.
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #41
Major Player

Just goes to show...to each his own. ;)
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM   #42
Major Player

Peter,

Would love some pics of the new ratchet buckles as well as a link or information where you got them...

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #43
New Boot

Peter,

I agree with Scott and would really appreciate seeing a few pics and / or info.

Thanks.

David
DMS
David Samelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #44
Major Player

I will get the info up eventually but have been swamped with a lot of different projects.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #45
New Boot

I look forward to the info as soon as you have a chance.
David Samelman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)