EX1/EX3 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1/EX3 Footage

Does anyone have footage from an EX1 or EX3 on a stabilizer?

I'd PREFER fig rig footage, but steadicam/glidecam footage would suffice. Perhaps something on Vimeo?

Thanks
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dang, no one has any footage at ALL of an EX1/EX3 on a stabilizer?
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Perrone, I have a Glidecam 4000 Pro that I haven't set up yet but I plan to start practicing with it in the next few days... I'll see if I can get some sample footage uploaded.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Buck. I had been going back and forth on the Glidecam 4000 and the Fig Rig, but in the end, decided the Fig did more of what I needed. But I am still hoping to see the footage from either or both.
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Major Player

The Fig Rig looks really cool and I looked at that too. But I wanted more of the "floating" sensation for walking down trails and floating over fields of wildflowers, etc. The Fig Rig looks better for run and gun and a better option for holding the camera steady rather than by 'hand'. When you get it I'm eager to see the results, perhaps I'll add it to my list of 'would like to have someday'.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I needed something for "walk and talk" in the building, and for basic shots where I'd normally be handholding. The ability to pan, dolly, crab, crane, and shoot high or low, with some level of stability was a huge selling point.

Since I am not doing narrative really, the "floaty" feeling I felt would end up being more distractive. The more handheld look connects the user a bit more and most of what I shoot is training and corporate type videos in which I want the user "involved". More like reality TV than a movie.

Different tools for different jobs. I hope to have the unit in a few weeks, as I have a project I will be shooting over the winter. I'll post footage when I start using it.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Flycam 6000

I have the Flycam 6000 and produced this short video. I am not proficient at the art of steadicam yet and still trying to balance the unit and learn the technique. But, you asked and here you go.

Phil Hanna

Flycam 6000 Practice Session on Vimeo
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Major Player

About 75% of the shots on my reel were done with the EX1, and the other 25% on my HVX200, all using my Steadicam Pilot.
davegishsteadicamreel on Vimeo
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Dave, nice reel. I have a shoot coming up with an EX1, any probs getting a signal for the Steadicam monitor and one for a video transmitter as well?
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Major Player

Yea how are you guys splitting your video signal out of your cameras without using a DA? i tried doing it the other day with a BNC T Joiner and there was a lot of luminance loss on both the outputs, as i expected..
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hanna View Post
I have the Flycam 6000 and produced this short video. I am not proficient at the art of steadicam yet and still trying to balance the unit and learn the technique. But, you asked and here you go.

Phil Hanna

Flycam 6000 Practice Session on Vimeo

PERFECT! Thank you so much!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
Yea how are you guys splitting your video signal out of your cameras without using a DA? i tried doing it the other day with a BNC T Joiner and there was a lot of luminance loss on both the outputs, as i expected..
Joe, on the Sony Z1 I use the audio/video out connection for the Steadicam monitor and for the video reciever I use the S-video connection. I had a tech custom the cables for me. I can also power the transmitter from a portable 12 v battery - Works great.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:58 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
Hey Dave, nice reel. I have a shoot coming up with an EX1, any probs getting a signal for the Steadicam monitor and one for a video transmitter as well?
Many Sony cameras use a special connector to bring out the composite, audio, and s-video signals. I splice/solder my own custom cables, so I made a 2-3" cable with just a yellow RCA on the composite and everything else disconnected. I've used this with the EX1 and the V1U. Here's where I bought the cable that I spliced down:
http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-handyca.../90117338.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
I just use an RCA Y-cable that I made. Yes, the luminance goes down a bit, but with the contrast all the way up, I can see fine. The important thing is that the director and DP can see the shot. Without the wireless, they tend to hover close to you. They've actually bumped the sled a couple of times.

One time this hovering actually worked to my advantage though. Two days ago, we were shooting a low budget music video on manhattan sidewalks. There was no wireless video link, so the director was hovering. Since there was wind, the sled was a little unstable, so I asked the director to spread out his jacket and hover up-wind, and that helped a lot.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Major Player

Hover... yes: YouTube - Making Of "1%" Movie Trailer
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Major Player

As an editor and tech the luminance loss annoys me a lot, i've found a little wee DA that is small enough to fit on the rig. Now im just trying to find a spot to put it where i've got room, power and video.

Although, it just ends up being another thing to power, and more video cable to run, im starting to ask myself is it worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
EX1/EX3 Footage-73711392_full.jpg  
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)