How important is being a 1/2 inch behind the post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How important is being a 1/2 inch behind the post?

Hello all,

I am thrilled to be part of this forum and a new Steadicam Pilot owner!

That being said, here is my first question;

How important is the CG being about 1/2 inch behind the post? The reason I ask is because the holes that I use on the stage is either right in the center or the next hole back is too far back. When I attach my manfrotto 577 plate the cameras CG is right in the center. If I make the CG about 1/2 inch behind with the fore and aft knob it puts it pretty much all the way back.

Thanks for your help.

-marco
Marco Giordani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I also use the Manfrotto 577 with the 1/4-20 tie-down screw, and I use the center hole in the Pilot stage plate. This puts the majority of the 577 behind center, like this:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...r-p9030095.jpg
In the end, this all has to do with dynamic balance, which is explained in post #27 in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...lot-error.html

I've noticed that many Sony cameras seem to be heavy on the lens side. I've flown the EX1, EX3, and the V1U (just today). In all 3 cases I had to move the 577 one hole back in order to get dynamic balance. In this position, the 577 hangs off the back of the stage plate about 1/2".
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry for the delay Dave, I didn't know you replied. I selected the "Instant email notification" but did not get an email?????

I don't know which screw size I am using, but I know it fits in the front hole of the Manfrotto 577. The middle hole is biggest and the last hole I don't know.

I have a tie down screw for the (big) middle hole on the Manfrotto 577 but its too big for the holes on the stage plate. Any thoughts?

Here is a link to some pictures I took;
Flickr: Pilot Pictures
I put a white sticker to show the CG when I balanced it on a ruler

Thanks for your help :)
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

use the 1/4-20 screw. that's a pretty standard size and will fit the front hole of the 577 plus any camera store should carry them. The other one is a 3/8 screw which I don't belive the stage plate will handle. I could be wrong.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Giordani View Post
Here is a link to some pictures I took;
Flickr: Pilot Pictures
I put a white sticker to show the CG when I balanced it on a ruler
I would guess that shotgun mic will force you to go one hole back on the pilot stage plate. The 577 hangs off the back a little, but I've flown it this way and it seems to work fine.

I use a shorter lighter shotgun with my HVX200 for Pilot run-and-gun type stuff. It's the Rode NTG-1 with SM3 shock mount and Dead-Cat furry windscreen. All 3 together weigh less than 1/2 pound, and cost around $300 shipped:
Rode NTG-1 & SM3 Rode Dead Cat Wind Muff
I like the NTG-1 sound, but you can judge for yourself here:
DV eStore Theatre - Shotgun Shootout
The NTG-2 and NTG-1 are identical except for the power source (battery vs. phantom).
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
use the 1/4-20 screw. that's a pretty standard size and will fit the front hole of the 577 plus any camera store should carry them. The other one is a 3/8 screw which I don't belive the stage plate will handle. I could be wrong.

Don
Hi Don,

Oh... is that other screw a 3/8. Thanks I didn't know what size it was.
But I couldn't understand why it would come with the Pilot if it is too big to fit in the stage plate????
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
I would guess that shotgun mic will force you to go one hole back on the pilot stage plate. The 577 hangs off the back a little, but I've flown it this way and it seems to work fine.

I use a shorter lighter shotgun with my HVX200 for Pilot run-and-gun type stuff. It's the Rode NTG-1 with SM3 shock mount and Dead-Cat furry windscreen. All 3 together weigh less than 1/2 pound, and cost around $300 shipped:
Rode NTG-1 & SM3 Rode Dead Cat Wind Muff
I like the NTG-1 sound, but you can judge for yourself here:
DV eStore Theatre - Shotgun Shootout
The NTG-2 and NTG-1 are identical except for the power source (battery vs. phantom).
Dave that was a great link! Thank you. I am waiting to go HD with the new Sony HVR-Z5U. Then I will be replacing my shotgun mic. It is not that I am unhappy with the sound from the Senn ME 66 but it is TOO long. It gets in the way when I want to get a close up shot of the brides bouquet or ring.

(I don't understand why I'm not getting emailed when someone replies to my post? Any suggestions?)
Marco Giordani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)