Steadicam Pilot AA Battery MOD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
You can buy 2 more AA battery holders here for $14 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-AA-Battery-Ho...3A1%7C294%3A50
Hey David,

Looks like this link is expired.. any idea where I can get the AA battery holders like you have? Does Steadicam sell them too?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Hey David,

Looks like this link is expired.. any idea where I can get the AA battery holders like you have? Does Steadicam sell them too?

Thanks,
Scott
Do a search on ebay for "10-AA battery holder". Make sure you get one with 5 batteries on each side and with the 9v type snap connector - not the solder lugs. Here's a current example:
10 AA Plastic Battery Holder 10xAA 10AA for detectors - eBay (item 120421083313 end time Jun-14-09 09:12:30 PDT)

Yes, you can also order them from Tiffen, and those have the Steadicam logo on the back. The Tiffen part # for this is in my Q & A thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...started-q.html
I think Tiffen has a minimum order of $50, but I'm not sure.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi David,

Thanks for responding.. of course I stumbled back onto your incredible thread about all the details of owning the pilot shortly after I posted on this thread.. Just forgot to come back and delete this one since I was reading.. awesome thread.. just awesome.. If you ever make it thru portland oregon, dinner is on me. :)

Cheers,
Scott
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #19
Major Player

Having recently picked up a Steadicam Pilot I'm keen to find a way to use my Sony BP-U60 batteries too. I have the AA powered Pilot, which I'm starting to realise is just not practical enough for my liking and looking at the the Dolgin EX-V I'm keen to have a go at modifying it.

My plan is to join an EX-V onto one of the 10xAA battery holders so that once the holder is inserted into the carrier a BP-U60 can be mounted sideways keeping the CG as high as possible and minimising the risk of the battery falling out of the holder.

The power could either be run directly to the connector jack on the central post or somehow fed into the 9V type connector inside the existing AA holder, which would be a much neater solution.

I'm going to order an EX-V today so I'll keep you updated as to how the experiment goes.

regards

Paul.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Having recently picked up a Steadicam Pilot I'm keen to find a way to use my Sony BP-U60 batteries too.
You're not alone here. Many people have invested in Sony batteries. It would be great if Tiffen offered a Pilot version that worked with the BP-U60. You may want to call your local Tiffen guy and add your name to the request list.

Quote:
I have the AA powered Pilot, which I'm starting to realise is just not practical enough for my liking...
Just curious, what do you find not practical? Are you using 3 rechargeable AA packs? Do you have enough AA chargers to recharge at least 10 at a time?

Quote:
My plan is to join an EX-V onto one of the 10xAA battery holders so that once the holder is inserted into the carrier a BP-U60 can be mounted sideways keeping the CG as high as possible and minimising the risk of the battery falling out of the holder.
Make sure it's rock-solid. Any slight wiggling could affect the balance of the Pilot. Let us know how it works out.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
Just curious, what do you find not practical? Are you using 3 rechargeable AA packs? Do you have enough AA chargers to recharge at least 10 at a time?
No I only have 1 pack at the moment as I've literally just got the Pilot (purchased it used) but I know that recharging would be difficult. The events where I want to use the Pilot require me to be out between 9am and 2am the next morning, only returning to my hotel to eat once or twice in between.

It's quite a challenge keeping my four BP-U60's in rotation which I do with a pair of chargers, but having to deal with charging 30 or more AA's would be impossible, even if I could do ten each time I returned to my hotel. I don't think the monitor on the Pilot is good enough to be worth the money I'd have to invest in V mount batteries to be honest, so using the BP-U60's I already have would be much better.

regards

Paul.
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #22
Major Player

I just bought the pilot AA and got 4 battery holders with it... already had one maha charger so adding another and a few more batteries was a much more economical solution for me.. once I leave the house, they're just battery packs.. I like that I can get new batteries if needed at just about any store on the planet..
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #23
Major Player

I've just modified my Pilot to use BP-U60's. The first battery I tried ran the LCD for around six hours but although it showed four lights to begin with but may not have been 100% fully charged. That's good enough for me though as it means I can recharge my four U60's overnight and be ready for whatever comes the next day without the hassle of extra chargers and battery packs.

Find out more at Steadicam Pilot BP-U conversion | Paul Joy

Here's a couple of pics showing it in both a downward and upward configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Steadicam Pilot AA Battery MOD-side_wide.jpg   Steadicam Pilot AA Battery MOD-flipped.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Joy; June 30th, 2009 at 03:45 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #24
Trustee

Paul (or anyone else using this battery set up) how is it working out ?
How long does a fully charged BPU-60 lasting when powering just the monitor ?
Are there any balance issues ?
Is the Dolgin battery mount easy enough to fix solidly ?
I'm on the verge of buying a Pilot and definitely want to use the same set up, it's a lot cheaper than buying the IDX or AB mount.
I've already ordered the EX-battery mount from Dolgin.
I noticed that you have a few weights on the sled at the bottom, is this because you're using a lighter battery set up ?
Do weights come with the Pilot ?

Paul.
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I've just modified my Pilot to use BP-U60's. The first battery I tried ran the LCD for around six hours but although it showed four lights to begin with but may not have been 100% fully charged. That's good enough for me though as it means I can recharge my four U60's overnight and be ready for whatever comes the next day without the hassle of extra chargers and battery packs.

Find out more at Steadicam Pilot BP-U conversion | Paul Joy

Here's a couple of pics showing it in both a downward and upward configuration.
I'm surprised there wasn't more response on your post!

Looking forward to hearing more about this solution from you! A lot cheaper than going with the VLB route from AA mount. :)

Thanks
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #26
Tourist

Hi to you all,

I have modified my Pilot AA so I can power the LCD with Panasonic D54 batteries.

It's almost the same procedure as Paul^ describes with his Bp60 conversion. Only instead of drilling four holes you only have to drill one.

For the conversion I used a Swit 7200P battery bracket:

http://swit-battery.com/swit2006/pro...ig/s-7200p.gif

and a step-up power adapter (I ordered mine as a package with the Swit-bracket from Rovotech.de for around 80 euros)

Then I took off the bracket from the adapter plate (1 screw). Unscrewed the four screws that keep the adapter plate together to replace the one screw in there with a slighty longer one (but not too long, so it doesn't scratch the Pilots horizontal post when sliding the battery holder)
and drilled a hole in the plate that normally holds the aa-battery box.

Just attach the battery adapter to the plate you just drilled a hole in using a nut and the longer screw and you're done.

Now you have to find a place to mount the step-up-adapter (it weighs very little).

(I wanted to post some pictures from the setup but the gallery is down for maintenance)

Regards,

Pim
Pim Schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:54 AM   #27
Contributor

Re: Steadicam Pilot AA Battery MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Paul (or anyone else using this battery set up) how is it working out ?
How long does a fully charged BPU-60 lasting when powering just the monitor ?
Are there any balance issues ?
Is the Dolgin battery mount easy enough to fix solidly ?
I'm on the verge of buying a Pilot and definitely want to use the same set up, it's a lot cheaper than buying the IDX or AB mount.
I've already ordered the EX-battery mount from Dolgin.
I noticed that you have a few weights on the sled at the bottom, is this because you're using a lighter battery set up ?
Do weights come with the Pilot ?

Paul.
We have a new mounting bracket now - made by Westside Studio AV - shown here Power Lumix and also here Westside AV V-Bracket [V-Brkt] - $49.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions It is a 2 piece metal design, very robust.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:06 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Alex.

Slightly offtopic. Do you do an adaptor to power the EX1 from an Anton Bauer Hytron 50 bttery or the other AB Gold-mount type batteries.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM   #29
Contributor

Did you mean a D-Tap cable? D-Tap to Sony EIAJ 12V DC Plug Adapter Power Cable [D-Tap to SONY EIAJ CBL] - $45.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:24 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Alex.

Thanks for your prompt response.

That would probably do it but I would need to get hold of an AB gold-mount base. Unlike the Sony V-mount style batteries, the AB batteries themselves do not have a D-Tap. The base does.

I could do it myself as I already have a PAG tap that comes straight off the battery to a 4-pin XLR plug.

Hunting down the elusive Sony yellow plug out here has been like trying to find a gem in a sewer, one of those nice to have but is it worth the cost and effort sort of things.

One last question. - Your v-mount cable. It appears there is no voltage regulator box. Is power direct from these batteries okay for the EX1/EX3?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)