DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadi Stand differences (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/144250-steadi-stand-differences.html)

Randy Panado February 20th, 2009 11:40 PM

Steadi Stand differences

If you had a choice, would you rather buy the old steadistand :

Newegg.com - STEADICAM 601-7910 SteadiStand (Option) for the Merlin Stabilizer

Or the new one :

New Steadistand Images - Tiffen

I realize the old one is no longer available new.

I like the old one due to the look, just looks more "official". The new one is faster to setup and folds flat which is a big plus. Seems like you could also use it for lighting if need be.

For those who own either (or both) please give me your opinions on what you like/dislike about your particular stand.

Thanks in advance!

Frank Simpson February 21st, 2009 12:28 AM

I have the "old" style Steadistand, and I really like it. It was an "open box special" from B&H, so I got it at a nice discount, and I must say that when I received it I had no clue whatsoever that it had been used or demonstrated in any way.

It sets up and tears down quite quickly, and is very convenient to use. I bought it for a Merlin rig and have since gotten a Pilot. I have found that the Merlin bracket makes a great stand for setting up a camera on my 12' ProAm Crane. (Something I discovered on a set quite by happenstance one day.)

I have not needed to sandbag it while setting up my Pilot as long as I fully extend the legs and make sure that the weight of the sled is cantilevered over a leg. It has never even come close to being unstable.

I have been very happy with my purchase.

Now, all that being said, I can't really think of anything lacking on the new C-Stand style except perhaps the bubble level on the tripod base of the old style. (I do like and use this feature) It certainly looks very stable, and it probably sets up/tears down in about the same amount of time. Flat storage is a nice thing too.

I supose if I were to have a "complaint" about the old style would be that sometimes when putting it into or removing it from its bag the (very nicely rubberized) locking knobs can hang up from time to time... a minor inconvenience.

Anyhoo, these are my thoughts!

Dave Gish February 21st, 2009 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't used the new stand, but it certainly looks heavier. The old stand that I have is extremely light and stable.

I actually use the Pilot backpack/carry-case as a backpack. The Pilot backpack is huge, but not really heavy. I attached the Steadistand bag to the backpack with wire ties, so that it looks like the picture below. I doubt this would work with a heavier stand.

Sean Seah February 21st, 2009 04:18 AM

I like the old stand. Works very well. Not sure about the new one thou.

Julian Frost February 21st, 2009 01:04 PM

The old, black, Steadistand was discontinued. The aluminum locking collars sometimes break, as mine did. I loved the black look, and the bubble-level, and that it collapsed into a small package and was very light.

I now have the new, chrome, Steadistand (C-stand). It is incredibly strong, significantly heavier, and has no bubble level or Steadicam logo. It folds flat and can be carried *inside* the Pilot's backpack. I've never needed to sandbag the new stand, even with my Pilot, IDX battery, Canon XH-A1 and wide-angle lens hanging off it... though I probably should, just to be safe! :-)

I wish the new stand was black and had the Steadicam logo on it, but there's no way this thing is going to break!

Julian

Charles Papert February 21st, 2009 09:20 PM

With this type of stand, chroming (silver finish) is the most durable. The classic American Grip stand for Steadicam (American Steadicam (type) Stand Black 2 Rise with 5/8" pin LS32 - American Baby Light Stands) which is the choice of many of us for the big rigs is powder-coated black but the finish strips off easily, especially when assistants hang leftover strips of tape from the focus knob on it (grrr!). I've been through three of these stands in the past 12 years or so partially due to rusting where the finish is gone--not the end of the world, but chroming lasts forever.

I've got one of the old Steadistands and I think it's cute and for the light weight, quite stable and appropriate for a small rig. One of the great assets is that you can easily pick up the stand with your Pilot or Flyer on it with one hand and move it while wearing the vest and arm. I wouldn't want to try this with the c-stand version. Especially since I hooked myself up with an awesome case of tennis elbow dead-arming a stand with a monitor on it a while back--that took physical therapy and 6 months to heal.

Nick Tsamandanis February 21st, 2009 10:56 PM

I have the old stand as well and it's great. The bubble level is irrelevant - you don't need the stand to be level.

Randy Panado February 22nd, 2009 02:37 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas!

So if both are the same price and you had to choose just one, which one would you pick?

I was thinking the newer one because it can support the flyer but I realized the flyer supposedly comes with one already. Don't really need 2 stands if I upgrade later on down the line from a pilot to a flyer.

Julian - Since you have both, which one do you prefer and how much does the new one weigh?

Thanks again guys!

Julian Frost February 22nd, 2009 12:17 PM

The new stand is WAY more solid than the old, black one. The legs spring into position but are not adjustable like the other one. Aesthetically speaking, I much prefer the old, black one. For a rock-solid stand which I expect will stand (cough, cough!) years of abuse, I'd chose the the new, chrome stand. I don't know how much the stand weighs... I don't have a scale which goes up that high! As it packs flat, I just put it in my Pilot back pack. I can still lift the whole shebang into the trunk of my car, so it can't be that heavy! :-)

Julian

Randy Panado February 22nd, 2009 01:08 PM

I see. Well new stand it is then :). I figure less moving parts and more solid construction = not breaking when you need it most! It's great I can put it in the backpack with the pilot if needed. One less thing to carry.

Bill Pryor February 23rd, 2009 12:39 PM

The new one looks like a regular C-stand, which is what I use.