The Steadicam Operator's Handbook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old March 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

The Steadicam Operator's Handbook

At over 400 pages, this newly released book by veteran Steadicam instructor/operators Jerry Holway and Laurie Hayball has instantly become the last printed word on all things Steadicam. While it is oriented towards the "big rig" operator (and slanted towards the Steadicam brand products), it contains many useful nuggets for operators of all brands and sizes of stabilizer. I highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: The Steadicam® Operator's Handbook: Jerry Holway, Laurie Hayball: Books
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Major Player

For we non U.S. based Jerry recommended we get it from here - Elsevier-Science and Technology Publishers, Books, Major Reference Works, Online Education, Textbooks

I ordered mine two weeks ago, I may have missed the first batch I think :(
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's how I found out about this book:

I was reading a thread elsewhere on the web, and a person seeking advice was advised by Mr. Holway himself to have a look at this book. I didn't even finish reading the thread, I immediately clicked over to Amazon and ordered it, not even bothering to look at the price. I just knew that if it had Jerry Holway's name on it, it would definitely be worth it!

So I received it a few days ago now, and I am about halfway through my (first) reading. This is material that will bear repeated study.

For those of us who live far, far away from where Steadicam workshops occur, this is an excellent resource until such time as we can get to one.

As one might hear on a late-night commercial of yesteryear, "Rush out now in a buying frenzy! Be the first kid on your block to own this amazing book!"

It is profusely illustrated with many, many, many photos and diagrams. They are not "filler material", they are all related to the subjects being discussed.

If you take the lessons presented in this book to heart, it will keep you busy for years. Literally. Worth every penny!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Major Player

I just canceled my Elsevier order. I've been waiting 2 weeks, and they just informed me it will be another 3 weeks away. I found a shop on Ebay that has it in stock for 30% less delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Steadicam-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I had it on order from Amazon in the UK but its not released here until March 13th. However Elsevier claim to have it in stock for dispatch so just orerered. Lets hope its not a bogus stock status.

Found a few ebay sellers although their feedback was less than favourable.

From what ive read on the steadicam forums it seems to be an amazing book, filling in the gaps from the EFP DVD.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM   #6
New Boot

Charles:

I just watched your vids and you are off the charts!!! (that is good in the younger generation crowd) I loved your work on the "die mommie die" clip - glad to see you are here to guide the rest of us!!
Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Wrangler

haha, thanks Brian, I think "off the charts" has been around since, well, I was one of the "younger generation"...! But I will admit that I could not bring myself to say that a music video I shot a while back was "dropping" last week, that one won't come out of my mouth.

I worked with Anthony Edwards a few months ago on his return to "ER" and we reminisced about "Die Mommy Die", which he produced. It was a little and obscure film but I still really like that clip.

And regarding Jerry's book, I was honored to be one of the guest writers whose stories are sprinkled throughout, plus there are quite a few pictures of me from over the years in there too.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8
New Boot

Actually I'm probably as young as you are :)
Question from curiosity: Did you get to choose the flight path for that clip or was it directed by the director?
Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Wrangler

I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure that the director and/or DP designed that shot, however I would imagine that I refined the timing on it. The one thing that didn't time out on that take was the last person sitting down into the shot at the end--she was a tad late (I frame up for her and she should have been entering the shot at the same time).
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Got mine today from Elsevier, ordered it at the weekend so pretty good time.

This things not a handbook, its a bible! Loads of pictures, great content, even how to look after your muscles.

Loving it so far.
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #11
Major Player

This book is fantastic and well worth the £25.

Its like a workshop in a book. Its not really a handbook as its A4 size.

I would love to take a workshop, I really would but the cost makes it just outside of my price point (I am only shooting weddings afterall, not feature length movies).

It has a section talking about the lightweight rigs like Flyer, Pilot and Merlin. How to handle them differently to big rigs (basically, lighter touch). Lots on framing and shots which is great as Steadicam is a whole new ballgame.

If you own a rig, any rig by any maker then this book is a tiny investment.

Infact, it costs about as much as a Merlin middle weight (now there £20 each!)
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Infact, it costs about as much as a Merlin middle weight (now there £20 each!)
Right, Steadicam raised the price of extra weights from $6 to $25 each! What's up with that? I believe most people who buy a Pilot will want 8 extra weigts, so this essentially raises the price of the Pilot by $200. Ouch! Does anyone know what's going on here?
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
I would love to take a workshop, I really would but the cost makes it just outside of my price point (I am only shooting weddings afterall, not feature length movies).
The 2-day workshop costs $500 in the U.S.. Worth every penny.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Calumet do a 1 day Pilot workshop in the UK for £100 although it looks like ive probably gone beyond what I can pickup since using my Glidecam for a year now.

The weights are rather expensive. $25 for a set, I can see that being ok but $25 for each bit. Wayyyy over the top. As you say, for the price of a few weights you could buy an entire Steadistand, or a monitor.
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #15
Major Player

For all of you in the USA, you can order the book from borders.com using this coupon code :

IPL1255

And get 25% off with FREE shipping :). Have to be a borders reward member but its free to join. If your borders has it in stock at the store, there's a 30% off discount but it's for only in store use. Just google for it as they expire and new ones come about.

Can't wait to get my book!

Enjoy the discount!
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)