To Charles Papert - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Very true Charles P. Those straps do certainly make an incredible difference. Totally agree with you. Now it's taken a permentent place on my vest. Great advice. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #17
Wrangler

Good deal CK.

I haven't worn my PRO vest for close to a year now, since I got my Suave (now known as the Klaussen) harness. I've heard from others that once your body has gotten used to a back-loader, it's a whole different ball game to slip on your old front-loader. Still keep thinking I might need it since it is lower profile than the Klaussen but I might just sell the thing.

Some interesting developments out of Tiffen, huh? I had the opportunity to try the prototype of the Flyer arm a couple of years ago, it's a lovely piece of engineering, much smoother and more effective than anything in its weight class.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Pretty usual especially coming from a one spring setup, ain't it? Well, how would you compare it to the v-8 series? It too is a one spring setup.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #19
Wrangler

Not having seen the production Flyer arm in person, I can only assume that the arm is essentially the same as the prototype. And if this is the case, it is very different than any single spring arm out there. It uses the patented iso-elastic principles seen in the Ultra arm in a simplified form, and delivers a true linear counter-effect as opposed to standard single spring arms which are quite "bouncy". Again, I'm going off the prototype here, but the tracking performance of this arm was like nothing I have seen outside of the PRO arm and 3rd generation bearing Ultra arms.

Erwin Landau posted a pic on the Steadicam forum of the prototype arm with a Mini carrying my SL Cine 2C onboard. I took that system out for a test run at the time and was barely winded after a few hundred feet--and that's with a 35mm camera! My guess is that with the merging of DV and HD into a form factor that will fit within the 15 lb weight limit of this system, the Flyer will be the one to beat from a performance standpoint.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)