To Charles Papert at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old September 19th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #1
Major Player

To Charles Papert

Curious, which steadicam model are you flying? Would love to see a pic of your setup. I've just done re-designing the base of my sled to be even more versitle. I've added an option for an extra anton bauer setup. Just purchase another gold mount. Done some more improvement on the monitor mount which seems to improve things when the need for dynamic balance occurs. If you like to see a pic of it, let me know.

I'm doing these changes for a book I'm writing. It's about my build construction of my homebuilt rig and my experiences. Lots of pics invovlved. I've just got the rights from Glidecam and Pro GPI to go ahead and use some of their pics in a section that I will dédicate to the professional rigs. I'm waiting for the go ahead from Steadicam.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM   #2
Major Player

I guess you missed this question or you're trying to avoid it. I'll see if you reply this time ;)
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM   #3
Wrangler

Whoa, I totally replied the same day you posted, Charles! I wonder what happened. Thanks for the reminder!

Gotta run to work right now (I'm dayplaying on the Drew Carey show) but I'll get to this tonight, OK?
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Charles. No sweat. Good luck on the set. You're a very busy man
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Naah. I think he's avoiding you. :)

Charles, you might see us January thru April. My son's a teenage actor named Patrick if we get a chance to meet.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:02 AM   #6
Wrangler

OK, my shooting setup:

PRO Donkey Box II
PRO post with bayonet mount
PRO gimbal with MK-V tool-less upgrade
PRO 1 battery cage
TB-6 monitor
Sony PC3 onboard DV recorder
PRO arm
DSD Harness
Preston FI+Z lens controls
Modulus 3000 transmitter

Those are the bigger components, of course there's cases full of gizmos and odds and ends. Hope this answers your question, Charles. I'm not sure if I have any pictures offhand--stopped collecting those a few years back, but you can see me on the behind the scenes features on a few DVD's..."Crazy/Beautiful" has a lot of rig shots, and "Big Fat Liar" also.

Good luck with the book, it sounds great--and yes, I'd like to see a picture of your rig!
Old September 23rd, 2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Major Player

wow! So you're flying a Pro. Nice. Sweet. You lucky devil you.

Here are some pics of the sled base that I've redone. The base module is completely modular with alternative options.

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/batterymodule.html
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:36 PM   #8
Wrangler

Nice work Charles! Looking good. I like the telescoping monitor mount, smart idea.

Two thoughts on the vest: adding backstraps (first seen on the Model 1, disappeared until the Master series, also seen on the PRO vests) will help keep the top and bottom of the vest locked together, which should make it more comfortable and symmetrical. Also that center spar seems a little slender, which might start to flex with heavier loads. Were you indicating that you have fore-aft adjustment on the arm angle? Can't tell from the picture. It really seems to me that the lack of two-axis adjustment on the arm angle is a major factor in fatigue for folks--you can't dial it in so you have to compensate with an unnatural body angle. There must be something simpler than the CP standard socket block that does the same thing, I just haven't seen it yet (the DSD harness has a nice mechanism for fore and aft and still uses the two screws for left and right, might be worth looking at).

Good looking gear tho'.
Old September 24th, 2003, 02:54 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for replying. There one thing that I don't follow:

1. "...adding backstraps (first seen on the Model 1, disappeared until the Master series, also seen on the PRO vests) will help keep the top and bottom of the vest locked together, which should make it more comfortable and symmetrical."

Are you talking about the straps that go over the shoulder? I don't under your point.

"Also that center spar seems a little slender, which might start to flex with heavier loads."

No problems on that issue. It is slender but it's made of stainless steel. It won't flex. It's 6mm thick.
You should know, the Pro vest center piece is just as slender.

"Were you indicating that you have fore-aft adjustment on the arm angle? Can't tell from the picture."

I know it's difficult to see but it is at the end of the arm bracket. It's not completely finished yet. The only disadvantage is that you I won't be able to adjust the positioning of the arm while the arm is mounted. I'm figuring out improving on that at a later date. Experimenting Experimenting...

Thanks for your comments. They do help.
Old September 24th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #10
Wrangler

Stainless steel, heavy but solid. That would do it!

The two backstraps are mounted on the rear of the vest, and hang down from the bottom of the section that covers the upper back to the top of the waist belt. Fastex fasteners are used similar to the ones you have on the other adjustable straps. I can send you a picture if this is still confusing.
Old September 24th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Yes, please do.
Old September 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I'd appreciate a pic of these straps as well, thanks Charles (both of you!)

Cheers,
Huey
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #13
Wrangler

Saved myself the bother of having to take a picture, post it etc. Check this out. There is a PRO vest in that group of photos, the back straps are oddly missing. It's possible that owner ordered it without, or it was a pre-release picture (the backstraps may have been added late in the game).
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #14
Major Player

aaaah! now I get it. Not a bad idea Charles. I will definately incoporate it into my vest. Though, not alot of vest have them, so they can't be that crucial. I will add them because it makes sense.
By the way, The stainless steel I added is really doesn't make the vest heavy as I would have thought. Of course it is a little heavier than if I would have used a composite material but the price was an issue considering I had to get it in bulk size.
Aluminum would have not hold that good if it was the same size either. So this was my alternative. Very strong though.

...and you're welcome Heuy
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:56 PM   #15
Wrangler

It's strange, Charles, how those backstraps have come in and out of vogue. I personally would not operate a front mounted vest without them, they do actually make a huge difference to me. Some operators don't need or like them. Many do dig them though. Let me know what you think, as with everything else it takes a while to dial them in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)