Magiqcam - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:47 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles, that was what I figured, but I wanted to know if there was anything else too it. I do notice the sled wanting to fly away from me, but I guess you can't have everything for under $2k.

I just finished an indoor shoot using the Magiqcam for about 1.5 hours of the 7 hour shoot. I found I still need to take frequent breaks or the shots suffer. My tendency is to bring the rig in closer, to reduce the leverage, but then I occationally bump the battery and make the entire shot worthless. Still got more back muscles to build, I guess. :)
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM   #62
Wrangler

Joe, keeping the rig close is absolutely the right idea. Over time you will "learn" where the rig is in relation to your body and avoid bumping it (like how one knows where the parameters of one's car is while driving to avoid clipping other cars). If you find the rig flying away from you, try adding some padding (t-shirt, whatever) under the waist pad and making sure your chest straps are as tight as comfortable.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM   #63
Major Player

"If you find the rig flying away from you, try adding some padding (t-shirt, whatever) under the waist pad and making sure your chest straps are as tight as comfortable."

Something Larry McConkley likes doing but with form, right Charles?
Old March 9th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #64
Regular Crew

pics of magiqcam

Do any one you guys have any pictures of your magiqcam rig? The pics on their website don't show very much really, and some nice closeups showing details, and the rig overall would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Johan Lundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #65
Obstreperous Rex

If somebody has pictures for Johan but doesn't have a site to host them on, feel free to email 'em to me and I'll upload 'em to DV Info. Thanks all,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #66
Wrangler

Response to C. King (sorry, missed that post);

Thankfully, Larry, myself and the rest of the gang have those two axis of adjustment available to trim the rig into a comfortable pitch from the body. I would personally be VERY unhappy if I could not do so and had to correct with a body lean, which is fatiguing and potentially harmful over a period of time when carrying heavy loads (be not afraid, DV-wielding friends, I'm talking about 75 lbs+ rigs here!).

Larry and I are both using the latest version of the Klaussen back-mounted harness, the Walter Light, which continues to be the most supportive design for that weight range.
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #67
Major Player

No problem Charles P. I totally understand. But thankfully I won't be flying any fim cameras. BTW, I just sold my new dual action arm. The price was too good to resist and it was cash down, too. :) Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board. I still have parts for a one section arm. The other parts would have to be machine again. many more months to wait again. No problem though. I'll just use my single arm until it's done.
The single arm is just like the dual arm in design. The one that Lars posted. I just have to make an extendable bracket.
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:56 PM   #68
Major Player

help i'm in Blighty

Hello,
Does anyone here know how much it would cost me to get a Magicam rig sent to uk. i.e. would I have to pay import tax v.a.t. etc, etc. is there anyone here from uk that has tried this? I know how much rig and shipping to uk is just not sue if I would have to pay any additional?

Many Thanks
Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM   #69
New Boot

You will have to pay import taxes/customs duties. I am not sure how much in the UK. Some countries are about 17%.
Sarah Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:51 AM   #70
Major Player

When I had my refurb EFP arm imported, I had to pay around 20% of the total, and when you’re looking at £3000 as I was, it’s quite a bit of extra money.

17.5% VAT + around 3% duty so think carefully before you buy, or UK customs won’t release it to you!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM   #71
Major Player

Many thanks to you both for the advice on importing a rig. I guess I better get in touch with customs.

Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Monitor for Magiqcam

What are your experiences with LCDs for Magiqcam systems? What type of monitor/batteries do you use?

I am supposed to recieve the new MagiqCam 2P soon, but I am still confused which way to go with the monitor.
Martin Polach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #73
Major Player

Hi Martin,
I don't have my Magiqcam anymore, but when I did, I used the Panasonic 7" WS with the Nebtek battery adapter that let it run off the Canon camera batteries. It worked really well and I really like the Pana monitor. It's bright and has a pretty wide viewing angle. It takes 12V so you could easily use another battery system. I actually still use the monitor for jib and other setups. There are cheaper monitors, but I have'ny had any great experience with them, but I suppose all will work, since their main purpose is really only for framing anyway. I wouldn't rely on any of them for color or picture evaluation.

Matt
Old August 14th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #74
Major Player

Martin,

I bought a 5" Nebtek monitor and Nebtek Panasonic adaptor to use with a 100a on my Indicam system. I found it at NAB and was able to try it out in the sun before buying. I did buy it because it looked real good!

Much of the time I use the monitor that comes with the 100a. It's large enough for viewing but not nearly as good under full light conditions as the Nebtek monitor.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)