Lubricate A Gimbal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 16th, 2003, 03:11 AM   #1
Trustee

Lubricate A Gimbal?

It came up on another forum that someone had heard that after some use, stablizer gimbals are not as smooth as they once were.
The question was asked: Do gimbals require/benefit from some type of lubrication?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Warden

Most gimbals use sealed ball bearings that never require lubrication. My first job out of college was as a sales engineer for a ball bearing distributor (I had to do something to pay off those loans). If you have any additional questions about bearings, get the number off the side of the race. If the bearing is sticking, it may have dirt in the bearing or a flat spot on a steel ball. Either case requires the replacement of the bearing. Steel balls can not be individually replaced and sealed bearings can not be relubricated.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

What Jeff said is empirically true about sealed bearings, but I'm not entirely sure if the various manufacturers are using sealed bearings in this class of stabilizer. The gimbal in the high end rigs are not sealed and do require cleaning, particularly the pan bearing. The recommended regimen is to strip the gimbal down to the bearing race, spray it with a residue-free contact cleaner to clean it, and then use a single drop of very light machine oil to lubricate it. I should be cleaning my gimbal once every few months, but I admit to being lazy enough that I only do it twice a year.
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #4
Warden

If sealed bearings are not being used then a cleaning and relubrication might help. The recommended cleaner would be a product like this LPS product. Depending upon the size and load on the bearing a single drop may not be sufficient lubrication to protect the bearing. However, more lubrication may reduce friction too much. The manufactures may be using lack of lubrication (increased friction) to help control the load. The lack of proper lubrication will lead to premature wear of both the steel balls and races and cause premature bearing failure. Do you know what model Steadicam is being used?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes, Jeff. The unit in question is the Steadicam JR.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #6
Wrangler

The JR uses sealed bearings, I believe. I replaced the gimbal assembly on mine years ago and was astonished at how inexpensive it was, but I can't remember the figure.
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #7
Warden

Ball bearings are relatively Cheap if you buy from a distributor.

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #8
Wrangler

The JR gimbal assembly is too small, intricate and customized to be able to be repaired, I believe, Jeff. It's much easier just to screw the assembly off and replace it.

The gimbal on my full-size rig can be field-stripped, cleaned and lubricated...the tolerances and specs are so precise that no-one has dared to replace parts rather than with the manufacturer. I had to replace the pan bearings and race once; it cost something amazing like $800...!

I just gave Tiffen a call on your behalf, Dave. Other than what Jeff and I recommended in terms of blowing out the dirt and applying a very small amount of light lubricant, I discovered that to replace the gimbal and handle assembly is $90.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)