Glidecam training at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 21st, 2003, 06:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Glidecam training

I was considering attending the training help in Plymouth MA. Has anyone any experience or thoughts on this. Is it worth it?

Are there any video available for the setup and operation of the Glidecam V-8?

Tom Hereford
www.motorcityproductions.com
Tom Hereford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:32 AM   #2
New Boot

Maybe I should consider producing a installation/operations video myself after I'm dooly trained up.
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #3
Major Player

There is someone on this board who has stated they are working on a training video but I can't speak for him and do not know if that is still on the table. I think there is definitely a market for it, and I would love to see one done. Elite Video is making a killing on Ebay selling their poorly produced DV Lighting Videos that they make in their garage.

I'm surprised that Glidecam itself hasn't come out with a training video, as I hear many people give up too easily on the Glidecam because its hard to learn the proper technique. I'm trying to keep my cool but the truth is I just don't know if I'm doing it right, or if I really have the proper dynamic balance. I would think a vid would bolster more interest and sales. I'd be willing to pay some of the resident experts here generously for an hour or two lesson on the V8. I'm a visual learner and I really need to see how others use the system.

BTW, what is that training you are refering to in MA? Is there more info on that online somewhere?
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #4
New Boot

goto glidecam.com for training info. They do it pretty regularly. The next one will probably be in about 4 weeks. Its take three students to have a class. I tried to get in before a shoot on the 6th but it appears that is not going to happen.

Maybe I'll see you there.
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #5
Major Player

cool thanks, didn't know they did that. I will definitley look into that.
Old October 24th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I'll also be calling up Glide Cam about a training weekend, we may all be together - a little DVi meet, heh.

I was hoping for something within Canada, but so far I have found no authorized workshops here.
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Just called up Glidecam and enrolled in a training in January 7th and 8th. I talked for a bit with the instructor on the phone and it sounds like it should be a fun and worthwhile class. He told me I will be in the same class as you Tom, so looks like we'll be meeting soon. See you there! Andrew he said someone from California is also in the class, so I guess he wasn't talking about you. There may be room left.
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #8
New Boot

Yes I signed up today. See ya there. Let me know what Hotel your staying at.
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Well that's good news guys, I'll have to stick my head in and say "Hi". Tom is a very nice guy, and very knowledgable...you'll have a great class!

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #10
Major Player

What kind of prices would I be looking at for hotel expenses? I've heard MA is pricey.
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #11
New Boot

go through expedia.com. You'll find much better pricing on hotels there. Alot better than calling directly to the hotel.

Are you guys bringing your own equipment? I'd like to but I would want to carry onto the plane.
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #12
Major Player

If I can't get a really cheap airfair, I will drive. So if hotels cost too much, I'll just pack the arctic sleeping bag and campout in the car. :D So I can bring my gear in the trunk

I would estimate 11 hours drivetime for me, but in January it may take a few extra hours depending on road conditions.
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #13
Major Player

I think I will be flying and I'm not sure what hotel I will be staying at. My brother lives in Boston so I might end up crashing with him.

I am going to bring my sled, monitor, and my Canon XL1s. They have Glidecams there of course but I want to bring my own sled so I can get it balanced out properly. I figure my own arm and vest are less important to adjust at the training, and since they are so big I won't be bringing those. I guess I will just try to fit it all on a carry-on for the flight because knowing my luck if I checked it my bags would get lost.

I'm really excited about the class. I think this is what I need to get started on the right foot. BTW, Tom, are you going for both days or only one day? I figured the extra day couldn't hurt, as long as I'm making the trip up there, might as well do the whole thing.

Another thing that pleases me is the price. $400 for two full days of training with only 3-4 people in a class is a good deal. I've taken computer training courses with over 15 in a class that cost up to $1500. Not my cup of tea.
Old October 29th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #14
New Boot

I'm taking the two days. I have the gold spring setup so I'll need to bring everything.
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Tom, if you're driving from Detroit, are you driving through Ontario, or around the lakes?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)