DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam JR without their Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/16552-steadicam-jr-without-their-monitor.html)

Marc Young November 2nd, 2003 11:53 AM

Steadicam JR without their Monitor

As a loyal customer of B&H photo & video (one of this forum's sponsors), I've been waiting for over a month for them to re-stock the JR with monitor. As it gets closer to xmas, this out-of-stock problem could get worse.

They do have a JR without monitor. However, how do you mount a 3rd party monitor, and is it difficult to balance this? What is the best 5"+ lcd monitor anyway?

Ken Tanaka November 2nd, 2003 12:43 PM

Are you sure you really need the monitor? Does your camera have an lcd panel?

Marc Young November 3rd, 2003 10:36 AM

This is for a mini cam, which has a very tiny monitor. Also, with my astigmatism, a larger monitor further away is the best solution.

Nick Medrano November 3rd, 2003 01:34 PM

Hi Marc,
Why don't you just buy it (with the monitor) from Adorama.com? Besides, it's 50$ cheaper.

I am thinking of getting one this week, as well.

Marc Young November 3rd, 2003 05:07 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Medrano : Hi Marc,
Why don't you just buy it (with the monitor) from Adorama.com? Besides, it's 50$ cheaper.

I am thinking of getting one this week, as well. -->>>

Well, I beat you to it. They have it in stock and are shipping it via UPS. A call to Tiffen reveals that there is a 6-week backlog on orders of this particular model. So Adorama, it is.

The feedback on Adorama as a camera store are mixed. Some hate it for service, others like it for price. If you live near the Tiffen office (Suffolk county, NY), it's not a big deal sending something in for repair. They (Tiffen) also gave me the phone number of an expert in area code 205.

Thanks to the forum member who offered to sell me his nearly new unit, but I'd like a brand new one with warranty.

Nick Medrano November 3rd, 2003 05:47 PM

Marc,
What's the difference between the one on Adorama and the one on B&H? Aren't they the same models?

Let me know how your experience is dealing with Adorama. Thanks.

Marc Young November 7th, 2003 05:48 PM

The Adorama and B&H models are the same. However, B&H offers more kit options, including one with an Obie light and a steadicam-logo emblazoned case. Note, I would have bought from B&H if they had this stabilizer in stock with the monitor.

Be careful when you buy a JR or any steadicam, because if your camera does not fall into the weight range that the stabilizer can balance, you are SOL. For the JR, this range is 2 - 4 lb. There are over 40 camcorders that are compatible with the JR. They supply a sheet with mounting positions and settings. BUT, here is the clinker. Nearly all of them are obsolete or out of production. My 1 lb JVC GR-DVP9U is too light for JR. Same for the Sony DCR-PC105, DCR-IP55, or DCR-P330. If you plan on buying a JR for the new generation of lightweight camcorders, you'll have to contract a machine shop to make a plate that brings the weight up to 2 lbs. And, you'll have to experiment with setting the center of gravity, because if that is not right, you will find the range of adjustment to get it right to be limited.

Tiffen should offer (for sale) optional plates that bring the weight up by 8 oz or 16 oz. They should also re-design this stabilizer to get rid of the cheap gasket that surrounds the rim of the mounting plate, and replace the lousy battery terminals, which look as though they will break or corrode after a few years of use. The gasket is a real kluge, and I can't imagine anything but a camera with a perfectly flat bottom mating with this monstronsity. As it is, you have to shim with cardboard or rubber to level the camera. Is cork so expensive that they can't supply you with the inside piece, fully drilled/punched?