DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Cody's plans are back (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/18591-codys-plans-back.html)

Charles King December 20th, 2003 02:48 AM

Cody's plans are back

For those who were interested in cody's plans and were not able get it, then don't dispair. It's back. Any questions refer to HBS website. Here's the link to purchase the plans:

http://www.cafeshops.com/stabilizer.9054362

Yes, he's a member of HBS and I'm proud to say it. Promotion? you bet, but don't take my word for it. His plans are the best out there, as far as I know.

I'll be putting an official review of it in my book which will hopefully be out early next year. Just waiting for some hi rez pics from Steadicam and GPI Pro.

Chris Mueller December 20th, 2003 12:07 PM

Has anyone tried making one of these yet?

Randy Reyes December 20th, 2003 12:29 PM

Hi all! I've been all over the threads and home-made stabilizer plans and I do agree that his plans are the most comprehensive I've ever seen. I purchased them a few months ago but haven't had time to put one together because of work, etc. etc. etc. But now that I'm going on vacation in a few days I'm going to spend my full time constructing the vest and stabilizer that are laid out in the handbook, as well as complete my Agus35 for my DVX100!!

Though I have yet to put one together the handbook definitely commands a great amount of professionalism and respect. There are plenty of illustrations to show the reader how its done as well as professional standard measurements to use, which means you can just take the plans and have the steel work done accurately by a steel shop. Don't get me wrong though. One is able to put one together on their own, but it will take longer and you might sacrifice quality! Be forewarned though, that if you are to get your stuff done by a steel shop, that's gonna cost a few hundred dollars!!

Another great thing about the plans is that Cody has provided more than adequate information for acquiring all the hard to obtain parts. He lists helpful websites for parts, and gives helpful advice on what parts to get!!

I do recommend this handbook if you want to get your hands on a sweet rig. For $35 that's a damn bargain! I got mine for $50! So when I do complete my rig as well as my Agus35 I will post up some footage and pics to show you guys the results. I don't know if the example movies are still up on his website but I have them downloaded to my CPU if anyone would like to see them or if anyone would like to put it up on their webspace!!

Charles King December 20th, 2003 12:56 PM

The clips are up on the HBS website. Or you can see those wonderful clips at the direct link:

http://www.codydeegan.com/demo.html

Again, if you have any doubts or questions relating to hiis plans please visite the HBS website where he as his own forum.

Enjoy

Aaron Rosen December 20th, 2003 01:03 PM

Hi Guys.

I have tried to make the plans a reality.

They work. They are VERY clear and detailed. I was a bit skeptical before I got them... the ordering over the web stigma.

Let me be the first to say (even tho Im not) that Cody's plans are amazing.

The arm I built came out really bad. This was in NO PART the fault of the design and plans. The problem is my ability to make things from nothing. For a first try, it was a good start and it works. I have not tried my camera on it since I will be working on making a new one, this time done right and not rushed.

If you are up to the challenge and like making things with your hands (even if your not so good at it) then this is a rewarding project.

If you have any questions on this, please feel free to e-mail me.

- Aaron

Tom Christensen December 20th, 2003 03:14 PM

I have had the plans for a few months and just now am starting to work on it.

I am actually going to use a Glidecam sled that I purchased off of Ebay, so I'm bypassing that and going right to the arm and vest.

My first challenge is finding the odd size drill bits for the bearing holes. I may modify with a bearing sleeve that goes through the post to hold in place. Maybe even cut down some skate wheels and use them inside the posts. Don't know. Should be fun though.

Tom

Charles Papert December 20th, 2003 03:17 PM

I checked out Cody's clips. Damn. He's got something going on. The performance of the stabilizer is very impressive. I was watching keenly during the first clip where he passed in close proximity to the railing, which is a situation where you can more likely see the "footsteps" in a small-scale stabilizer due to friction in the arm--none present, which is a testimony both to his operating and to the gear.

The only issue I can see with his rig is that the arm has a tendency to lean out from the operator, which would require the operator to use force to hold the rig in front of him(it would want to fly away). It's important that the vertical members of the arm, particularly at the gimbal mount end, be truly vertical or even slightly tipped back towards the operator to prevent this. This is a design issue even with some of the commercially available DV stabilizers (the full-size rigs allow for dialing in the angle of the arm to suit the individual). In my estimation, this adds greatly to the fatigue level and although it does not directly affect the stabilization, it will ultimately affect performance.

Charles King December 20th, 2003 03:54 PM

Great perception Charles. I had already mentioned this to him a long time ago but then again, it's a side effect that comes with his type of design. On the whole, he's done a fantastic job. :)

Peter Sciretta December 21st, 2003 05:15 PM

I bought this book and the plans are very detailed... I was planning on building the vest and arm for my gluidecam, but it became aparent to me that I wouldn't be able to construct this myself...

So if anyone out there is up to building an arm and vest for me I'll pay you for supplies and your time...

email me at

slammerps@hotmail.com

J. Clayton Stansberry December 21st, 2003 11:35 PM

For those who have made this is, it possible? Peter, why don't you think you can make it? I am all about the home built stuff and was wondering if I could pull this off. I want to order the plans, but won't if I don't think I can do it. I have access to welding, machine shop tools, favors from friends, etc. Just wondering if it is worth the effort...BTW his footage is great! If you haven't checked it, do so! Cheers to him and anyone else who has made one...

Clay

Charles Papert December 22nd, 2003 02:28 AM

Charles:

I met with the designer of the Magiqcam and stressed to him the importance of making the pitch of the arm adjustable, which he has apparently incorporated into the latest version. No-one should have to expend valuable energy reigning in their rig, it should just float in front of you.

While attending the NAB show in Vegas this spring, I was walking in the garden of the Flamingo with my girlfriend when we spotted a small Betacam shoot going on. The cameraman was walking around with an SK rig getting B-roll, while the producer and director etc. chatted. I felt for the guy. It was easy to spot that the arm was pitching out at a significant angle and he was trying to compensate with his body and arms, and had worked up quite a sweat. Luckily they finished up soon after and I hope the producer bought him a cold one for all his hard work!

Charles King December 22nd, 2003 02:34 AM

Poor guy. I totally understand. Can you image if he had to do it over... ;)

Clay, no one said it was going to be easy. It's never easy trying to build something like this and get good results, but nothing is impossible. The builders on HBS(including me) have worked on their rigs for no less than six months to a year. Some longer. The whole point is to learn the plus and minus attributes that come along with trying to build one. This in turn helps to appreciate this type of device and it's inventor's( the great Garret Brown) vision.

It kinda gives one the idea why it cost so much to make with absolutely (almost) with less +/- tolerance.

Cosmin Rotaru December 22nd, 2003 07:07 AM

Glad to hear Cody's plans are back!

Hi Charles K.! I was just viziting the HBS forum and saw there's no activity, no new post! Now that I've seen your post about Cody's plans, I went back to the forum and noticed I was not loged in... Stupid me! See you on the forum! :-)

Charles King December 22nd, 2003 07:21 AM

Hi there Cos. Great to hear from u. Yep, it's great news and I'm happy for him. :) :) On top of that, some good responses.

Matt Gettemeier December 27th, 2003 10:51 PM

That footage freaked me out... I've had a Glidecam V8 on the last few projects I've been on and it looks A LOT like Cody's design... Our only problem is that the guy who shows up with it is the guy who uses it and so far I'm not too impressed with his camera work. Cody's camera work is breathtaking!

Every time I've used the V8 I've noticed that it ALSO wants to swing the cam out away from your body... not violently, but you must stay aware of this force or else you can let your DVX or XL1s fling into something when you let go of it... So that issue wouldn't deter me from building one of Cody's stabilizers...

6 months to a year? Now that deters me... I'd want to have this done in a month of free time... sound nuts? I may attempt it.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that we have NEVER had footage that good with the Glidecam V8... but of course let's not forget that a good steadicam operator is hard to find... Every time I hear that song, "... I need a man with a slow hand ... with an easy touch ..." I think they needed a steadicam operator.