DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   What stablizer would you recommend? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/23514-what-stablizer-would-you-recommend.html)

Adam Beck March 25th, 2004 01:28 PM

What stablizer would you recommend?

I am looking to purchase a good stablizer for the GL-2. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Pleae give some feedback on sablizers that work best with the GL-2.

thanks for the help

Mark Whalen March 25th, 2004 01:55 PM

It depends on what you intend to use the camera for, and what your budget is.

If you foresee infrequent use, you might want to look into purchasing the plan book 'Killer Camera Rigs That You Can Build' by Dan Selakovich. The book offers a number of plans and instructions for DIY stabilizers. You can check out and buy the book at www.DVcameraRigs.com

Richard Lewis March 25th, 2004 02:12 PM

I use the Glidecam 2000. It works fantastic. However it needs a bit of practice to get the best results.

www.glidecam.com

Corey Sturmer March 26th, 2004 07:14 AM

I have the glidecam 2000 Pro, and it works really surprisingly well if you know how to use it correctly. The hardest part about it is balancing the thing, which can sometimes be time consuming (especially if you have the WD-58h and a big battery). Just makes sure you guide it by holding the shaft below the ball bearings, because I was holding it lower for the longest time and didn't get the best results! It's also comparatively cheap.

Richard Lewis March 26th, 2004 11:47 AM

I'm using it with the BP 945 and the wd 58 too, the extra weight seems to make it work better.

Norman Woo March 26th, 2004 03:28 PM

You may also want to invest in the Glidecam body-pod and arm brace for either the 2000 or 4000 if you planning to fly it for more than a few minutes. I tried the 4000 with a fully loaded XL1 and after about 5 minutes my arm was about to fall off ... (that's why I've decided to buy the Glidecam V16 rig)

Ahmad Humeid March 26th, 2004 04:33 PM

I started a thread with a similar question..
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=23232

Got some interesting advice too.

Ahmad

Dave Largent March 26th, 2004 07:39 PM

Look at the Steadicam JR. I had one and liked it. Can be
folded to set it down flat when not shooting, and also converts
for shoulder-supported use. From what I hear, better
gimbal than what's used with the Glidecams. And it
weighs less. This last ones a biggee right there.
*And*, it comes with a valuable instructional video.
But, the "included carrying case" is just the box it comes
in. Better to get a real carrying case.

Bill Ball March 27th, 2004 08:48 PM

I have the Glidecam and it seems to work well with my GL-2. You cant use it for long and it would be hard to repeat shots exactly with it. I strongly suggest some sort of forearm brace for it. It will double your usable time. Instead of buying one I made one with a piece of aluminum, a 7/8 dowel, a long screw, and a couple of wide velcro straps to wrap around my forearm -- $7 and 30 minutes of work to construct.

Wayne Orr March 27th, 2004 09:41 PM

Glidecam challenge

OK, right up front let me admit I am no fan of the Glidecam 2000. However, I am willing to change my opinion if I can see some good footage shot with the rig. By "good footage," I mean well camera-blocked, rehearsed shots, similar to what you would see in a film. Not walking down the street, or chasing someone in the park, or other ad lib types of shooting. You should be able to move around a subject, while keeping the camera under control, and be able to start and stop your move without wobble, all the while keeping your subject properly framed. Multiple takes of a shot would be a bonus, because I believe it nigh impossible to do with these cheap rigs. Also, since Adam about a rig for his GL, the camera you use should be at least this size.

If anyone cares to take me up on this, I would love to see your footage. Please include the make of the camera you are using in the shoot. An extra bonus would be to have someone shoot footage of you with your rig in action.

Now there may be some of you who do weddings or other events with this gear and think I am slighting your efforts. Not at all, but I do want truth in advertising, and if that's what you do, just say it's "great for weddings," but don't give the impression that you can do near motion picture quality work with a $300.00 rig.

And just to sweeten the deal, if you are the one to post the footage that makes me change my tune, I'll send you a brand-new official "NYPD Blue" cap.

So let's see that Glidecam footage.

Wayne

Richard Lewis March 28th, 2004 05:44 AM

I'll try and make something up for you, but you do understand, it's only because I want the cap :P

I don't know how I'd post it though, as I have no web hosting.
I'll get back to you.

Casey Visco March 29th, 2004 10:28 AM

Well Richard, or anyone for that matter, if you shoot some good demo footage of the 2000 in action, send it to me, we might even be able to post it right on the glidecam.com site. We always like to see what our users are doing with their rigs.

Richard Lewis March 29th, 2004 10:55 AM

Hummmm, interesting. I don't see you offering an Official "NYPD Blue cap"

:) lol

Casey Visco March 29th, 2004 12:34 PM

How about a Boston Red Sox cap, with "NYPD Blue" scribbled on it?

Richard Lewis March 29th, 2004 02:02 PM

hahahahahaha lol