GLIDECAM HANDHELD - use with Sony Z7 and Video SLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM   #1
New Boot

GLIDECAM HANDHELD - use with Sony Z7 and Video SLR

Hi there.

I'm looking at buying a Glidecam handheld unit. I've been advised to go for the 2000 model.

I'll be using it with my Z7 and Lumix SLR for specific shots

Does anyone have a similar setup that can share their opinion on this?

I was considering the 4000 model.. but feel it might be too heavy and cumbersome especially with the smaller SLR unit

Thanks
Bobby Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Bobby, how does the z7 compare in weight with the Sony Z1/Z5?

I have a Z1 and Z5 and I wanted a Glidecam and went for for the HD4000. There is no way you will hand hold the Glidecam with even a Z1 on it for any length of time. (a couple of minutes at the most) I have a slight bad back so when ordering the 4000 went for the Smooth Shooter Vest.

I've just used it today on a shoot and although I was a little apprehensive, I didn't find much of a problem. I think adrenaline had taken over!

I haven't any experience of the 2000 but "they" reckon that the gimble on the Hd series is much better.

Obviously, the SLR won't be any problem but I think you will have problems with the Z7 when trying to hand hold it.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I hand hold a 14lb glidecam setup most of the day and I'm not buffed or in the best of shape but I'm fairly strong... my rig is an fx1, 970 battery, vidled with battery, century optics WA (big glass) on a GC4000 pro
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Scott, will you please send me details of what you have for breakfast !!!

I'm 63 and my right arm can't take the weight but with the Smooth Shooter it's great.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I was going to start a new thread on this for 4000 owners with cameras similar to the Fx1 (my cam).

I'm going to be doing an action shoot that will be from 7am until about 4pm. I have shoulder mount rig that fits me fine and its ok.

I look at glidecam videos and I'm impressed.

While I'm not the weakest person, I don't see my self holding my Fx1 with just 1 hand for the entire day, but I can't see myself wearing the vest.

Is the glidecam for me?
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)