Steadicam Pilot - Which Battery to Get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Steadicam Pilot - Which Battery to Get?

I am buying a Pilot sled upgrade for my Merlin arm and vest.

The Tiffen price page recommends the E-7s (v-mount) battery.

However, I have a Dionic 90 (AB mount) battery that I was planning to use.

Why is the E-7s battery recommended? What reasons would there be to buy this battery (and the v-mount sled) instead of using my Dionic 90 (and buying an AB mount sled)?

Here is the Tiffen product/price page:
http://www.steadicam.com/images/cont...ed_PL42009.pdf

Side question: how long can I expect a Dionic 90 to operate the Pilot monitor?)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

maybe it's because Tiffen has some sort of deal worked out with IDX but since you already have the ABs why change?
As for time it'll run well since the battery is 90W and the monitor pulls say 10W(I'm not sure of that it could be more it could be less but lets assume 10) the battery will run it for 9 hours if you run it all the way down (not recommended)
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Arnt the AB's a bit heavy? If it is you may have balance problems if the AB on the back is heavy but the monitor is light. The weights can be shuffled around to compensate.

Also yeah, tiffen sell the ES7 as part of their package so do recommend them.
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

the Dionic 90s weigh in at 1.7 pounds the IDX are very close to that so weight shouldn't be an issue-keep in, mind that the ABs are 90W and the IDX are 71 so there's a big difference there-of course there is also a big difference in pricing about $165 each with the ABs being more than the IDX (plus the charger) BUT since Jack already has the ABs I'd run them. Why start with a 2nd battery mfg, when you already have one thats proven to work.
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
the Dionic 90s weigh in at 1.7 pounds the IDX are very close to that so weight
The E-7S is actually around 1/2 pound lighter than the Dionic 90. On the Pilot, this makes a difference. It's not a problem, just something you have to adjust for.

For Pilot owners, I would highly suggest springing an extra $40 for a postal scale:
Product: USPS 10lb Digital Scale
The Pilot seems to be more stable with more weight, so I weigh everything to get right at the 10-pound limit (camera, camera accessories, & Pilot battery). I also bought extra screw-on middle weights to get the weight up to 10 pounds:
Steadicam | 801-7920-05 Middle Balance Weight with | 801-7920-05

Hope this helps.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jack,

To answer your side question: The 5.8" Pilot monitor has a 12V 9W consumption. You should expect at least 10 hours using the 90WH Anton Bauer Dionic, and since the consumption rating is a maximum I'd expect 12-14 hours.

There is a remote for the display if you want to actively preserve battery life and don't want to poke the on/off button.

One cautionary word: The different battery adapters are not cheap. It'll cost about $400 to switch your Pilot from IDX to AB -- the adapters are interchangable, but there is a cost to it.

Personally, I'm an AB man.
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks!

It makes sense to use the AB Dionic 90 since I have it and the charger. The higher capacity also means I probably only need one for what I'm doing, whereas with the smaller battery I might need two.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Love View Post

There is a remote for the display if you want to actively preserve battery life and don't want to poke the on/off button.
I see the remote on the price list. Is this included with the original package, or must it be purchased separately?

Here is the price list:
http://www.steadicam.com/images/cont...ed_PL42009.pdf
(The LCD remote control is next to the last item under "Power Supplies."

I can't find current pricing on the battery adapters.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Side question: how long can I expect a Dionic 90 to operate the Pilot monitor?)
I run EX1 and Pilot monitor from one 7S non stop for 6 hours, Dionic has larger capacity, so I'd expect around 8 Hrs of power for camcorder and monitor, don't know though what you're flying
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I run EX1 and Pilot monitor from one 7S non stop for 6 hours, Dionic has larger capacity, so I'd expect around 8 Hrs of power for camcorder and monitor, don't know though what you're flying
Canon XH-A1, probably using its own battery. I haven't looked into powering the camera off the sled battery, but for my use, I don't think it's necessary.
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
I see the remote on the price list. Is this included with the original package, or must it be purchased separately?

I can't find current pricing on the battery adapters.
You have to purchase the remote separately.

The adapter pricing can be found by calling Tiffen; the part numbers are on the last page of the Pilot manual. With your AB batteries, I don't imagine you'd need an adapter for a Sony or for AAs, though.
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Trustee

Dana,

Thanks! I will order the AB version and the remote.
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Cool, happy to help.

As an aside, if you haven't picked up a copy of Amazon.com: The Steadicam® Operator's Handbook: Jerry Holway, Laurie Hayball: Books, I highly recommend it. It's not specific to the Pilot, but has the best exercises extant on how to become a proficient operator.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Love View Post
Cool, happy to help.

As an aside, if you haven't picked up a copy of Amazon.com: The Steadicam® Operator's Handbook: Jerry Holway, Laurie Hayball: Books, I highly recommend it. It's not specific to the Pilot, but has the best exercises extant on how to become a proficient operator.
Thanks! I did get the book. I went into to Tiffen and they had some slightly damaged ones they were selling at a discount.
(I also got the monitor remote.)

And today I ordered the Pilot Sled with with the AB battery. I believe it's going to work out very well for what I'm using it.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)