Settings for Rebel T1i on a Merlin? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Settings for Rebel T1i on a Merlin?

Anyone balanced a Rebel T1i on a Merlin and care to share their settings? I have found the setting for a 5d mkII but not for this Rebel.
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Jonathan, the best way is to do the balancing from scratch. Reason is the balance depends on the lens used and the zoom position if it is a zoom lens. Below is a method I use . I recommend to use a quick release like the one below as i have experienced the 5D2 rotating in the midst of a move. Its very low profile and anti slip which is key, as the Rebel doesn't have an anti rotation pin like camcorders.

618711 Slik DQ-L Magnesium Quick Release Adapter Set with DQ-L Plate, Large

- Find the CG of the camera with a pencil
- Mount the plate with the hole H closest to the camera CG
- Open the spar to the maximum position and mount about the same counterweights as the load
- Adjust for static balance, slide the plate to a middle or slightly to the rear position (too much to the back may cause the some of the merlin to get into the frame)
- Hold the handle and move the merlin side to side. If you get swaying, start closing the spar. The stage will tilt and you have to rebalance statically
- Keep repeating the above step until the merlin doesn't sway. If it still swings with the spar very closed up, remove one weight
- Once it is ok, u can test the drop time. About 1.5 sec is ok for me

I used 2 end weights with the 5D2 and 16-35mm without a quick release the last time.
Good luck.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Sean for sharing your method. You're right about the lens weight and this will give me a good place to start.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)