DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Flyer LE Weight Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/238700-steadicam-flyer-le-weight-question.html)

Jonathan Ferber July 8th, 2009 05:52 PM

Steadicam Flyer LE Weight Question

I've got a quick question with regards to the Flyer LE. Like all stabilization systems it lists a maximum supported weight, and the Flyer LE says its for cameras up to 19 lbs. Now I have a F355L on top, which comes in at about 15 lbs with the lens, mic, and disc loaded. This is operating at the higher end of the supported weight of the LE, but I wish to know

My question is does the 19lb weight restriction only imply the maximum weight supported on the top, or does this include the weight of the batteries on the bottom as well. I have 2 Anton Bauer Hytron 140s i'd love to use on them, but the combined weight of those batteries alone has got to be 10 lbs and the total combined weight could come in at 25 lbs or so. I've balanced it quite nicely but there just doesnt seem to be enough bottom heavyness with the 2 HyTron H50s. I'll admit this thing is a pain in the arse to fly because its operating at the top of its load but it seems to be doing the job.

David C. Williams July 8th, 2009 07:37 PM

The 19lb is supposed to be what you can put on the sled. So that's batteries, camera, what have you, included in the 19lb. Some arms, yours obviously, can carry a bit more. But, the Flyer-LE is only guaranteed from an engineering perspective to 19lb.

The gimbal is the failure point of most over weighted rigs, even if the arm can take the weight. Keep an eye on that. I have read it's ok up to 30lb for regular use, but that's just hearsay.

Your arm isn't dipping when loaded is it? A 2 sec drop time is about right for lighter rigs. How far is the gimbal from the stage? Is your post still shortened?

Jonathan Ferber July 8th, 2009 08:01 PM

Right now in its current config which is just the basic camera, 2 HyTron H50s and the LCD monitor. And the arm comes pre set from the factory to handle the maximum load, and the arm does not free float on its own which somewhat partially defeats the purpose of the steadicam. It'll dip as far as the arm will go if I release it, it probably totals juust over 19 lb. The gimble is just over an inch and a bit away from the stage with the post shortered almost all the way. The camera has a 2 - 2.5s drop time, and it seems very nicely balanced, I checked it with a 3 axis level and the side-side and fore/aft seems pretty spot on. When I go to fly the rig, it seems to begin to pendulum a bit to one side even on soft acceleration. I might try extending the post downwards, and moving the gimble down as well to see if I can make it more stable.

Dave Gish July 8th, 2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ferber (Post 1169112)
and the arm does not free float on its own which somewhat partially defeats the purpose of the steadicam. It'll dip as far as the arm will go if I release it, it probably totals juust over 19 lb.

If you can't get both arm sections level with the floor, then you are seriously over-weight. Most Flyer-LE owners say they can get the arm level with over 20 lbs of stuff added to the sled.

David C. Williams July 8th, 2009 09:51 PM

Definitely well overloaded :) Get rid of as much as you can from the F355, viewfinder, quick release, sunshade, etc. Try ditching one Hytron, and lengthen the post. Other than that, you might try some big rubber bands to reinforce the arm springs :)

Charles Papert July 9th, 2009 10:15 AM

I would recommend getting to a decent scale and determining the exact weight you are flying (camera payload by itself, then the entire sled). If you are indeed at or under 19 lbs, you may have mistakenly received springs that are not up to spec and you should contact Tiffen about having them swapped. At maximum stated payload the arm should be level.

As far as the pendulum effect, acceleration does that to any Steadicam, it's normal. You learn to dial that out with your operating.

Lowering the post and the gimbal will not make the rig any more stable--it will add some inertia to the tilt axis, but you don't need it.

Jonathan Ferber July 10th, 2009 08:03 AM

I decided to ditch the 2 Hytron H50s and instead replace it with a single Hytron 140, I did some minor adjustments to the length of the post and gimble and it already flies loads better. The unit self floats with the current load now, to make it more stable I just need to make the adjustments to the arm and vest so the camera doesn't fall away from me and i'll be golden :D