DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   A1 mounted on Merlin. Vibrations while walking (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/238815-a1-mounted-merlin-vibrations-while-walking.html)

Josh Swan July 10th, 2009 12:50 PM

A1 mounted on Merlin. Vibrations while walking

Anyone else having problems with an A1 on the Merlin and experiencing jittery footage due to vibrations while walking?
No matter what I've tried, there seems to be a slight movement of the cam, on the Merlin, to cause jittery footage while walking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is a stock A1, BP-945 Battery. The Screw is touching between the focus and zoom ring.

Thanks

Josh Swan July 14th, 2009 11:30 AM

Guess I just have a bad Merlin?

Steve Winters July 14th, 2009 11:49 AM

OIS disabled?

Paul Mailath July 14th, 2009 04:58 PM

are you saying the the shock from your footsteps is showing up in the footage?

If so It may be the way you're walking. I'm around the 100k and have a large stride which translates into very heavy footsteps and jittery footage (Godzilla's POV) - I'm still working at it, smaller footsteps, the groucho Marx walk - I think (I hope) it;s just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Richard Gooderick July 14th, 2009 05:11 PM

Steve Winter's suggestions sounds like the best guess to me.

Josh Swan July 16th, 2009 12:40 PM

yes OIS is disbled.
I'll try different walking techniques, but I've seen footage with people running while getting really good footage with these, so it makes me wonder how I would be walking too hard.

Buba Kastorski July 16th, 2009 01:11 PM

No, it's not "bad" Merlin,
do you have "gezornenplatz" screw in place?
with larger cameras it helps before you'll learn how to walk :)

Richard Gooderick July 16th, 2009 01:16 PM

This is difficult to figure out.
If you hold the plate still, can you move the camera ie is there any play?
I don't see how you can introduce vibrations whilst walking. Movement but not vibration.

Paul Mailath July 16th, 2009 03:05 PM

maybe some footage would help - then we can see exactly what you're talking about

Jack Walker July 16th, 2009 10:06 PM

Keep the arm and shoulder holding the Merlin relaxed.

Instead of taking steps, walk in a continuous, unbroken relaxed movement cycle.

Without the Merlin, practice walking in smooth slow motion, controlling the muscles in a very relaxed way. It will be difficult at first, but improvement here will show in the Merlin later.

Josh Swan July 17th, 2009 06:25 AM

Buba- I do have the g-platz screw in place. It's touching between the zoom ring and the aperture ring.

Richard- there is no play while holding the plate. The plate flexes a tiny bit, but it's mounted on the cam securely.

Paul- I'll try to post some footage.

Jack- Thanks. I'll try practicing walking this way.

Danny O'Neill July 17th, 2009 06:41 AM

You should be able to walk normally and have no problems. Vibrations are normally because something is loose.

Try asking on the steadicam forums in the newbies section or better yet contact Tiffen. their customer service is second to none both here in the UK and in the US. I had to get my pilot adjusted and was able to take it into my UK branch and they did it there and then.

Richard Gooderick July 17th, 2009 10:03 AM

One other thought.
I've seen the grub screws work loose on a Merlin that was rented out.
The screws I am referring to are the ones that hold the tubing of the curved arms to the mouldings that connect the tubes to the hinge.
Are any of these loose perhaps?

Josh Swan July 17th, 2009 03:53 PM

Grub screws were nice and tight. There seems to be a tiny bit of play in the joint where the arc adjustment knob is. It seems to be in the silver round channel that keeps each arc piece in position. In the locked position, if you grab the ends and try to move them together as if to touch the ends together, and then away from each other, I notice a bit of movement, and as in a bit, I mean just a little. I hope I explained that, so it made sense.

Richard Gooderick July 20th, 2009 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Swan (Post 1173100)
Grub screws were nice and tight. There seems to be a tiny bit of play in the joint where the arc adjustment knob is. It seems to be in the silver round channel that keeps each arc piece in position. In the locked position, if you grab the ends and try to move them together as if to touch the ends together, and then away from each other, I notice a bit of movement, and as in a bit, I mean just a little. I hope I explained that, so it made sense.

There shouldn't be any movement when the lock is engaged. This could be the problem. I suggest calling the manufacturer or the retailer. It may need fixing.