DIY Stabilizer plans at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 1st, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DIY Stabilizer plans

Hello All,

I am POOR,
I have saved and saved and now i have a DVC80. I love my camera and it rocks. I have been working on a documentary for the last few months and it is going well but i am starting a short movie this summer and i will need a glide-cam or steady-cam type stabilizer, this is why i started my post off with I am POOR. I have checked on line and checked the DIY pages but i have not found any detailed plans. I was wondering if any one has actually made a stabilizer or has a link for a good set of plans

thanks
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The Plans

The Website with FAQ and Demos

The Forum with Info on them

Also, you can do a search here for Cody Deegan and you should get some discussions about the plans.

It still isn't exactly cheap, I think I spent around $400 making them but that was when the plans were $65 and I had to buy a number of the tools (tap and die stuff, large drill bit) and I screwed up by drilling holes in the wrong places so I had to buy a little bit more material.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hmmm,
thanks for the link to the book. I will try and buy a copy. But like i said i am POOR and the 35us +shipping is like 50+ca and that is 6 new dv tapes or another month of Internet acsess you know what i mean. I have a friend that works at a Big Box Hardware store and will hook me up with the parts for free and i have another friend that will let me use her tools but i am really bad at building things so i was hoping someone had detailed plans that they would not mind hooking me up with for free or at least a place i could find them.

I checked out http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/tips.html and they are cool but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these

Thanks
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Anyone familiar with this book?

http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The $14 semi 'Steadicam' On the super cheap that may be an ok way to go. There are some demos on the site to give you an idea of what you'll get and if you have a friend at the hardware store you could probably make it for just a couple of dollars.

I went with Cody's plans for the budget full stabilzer rig and was very pleased with his manual, but the construction process does take a fair bit of time and work.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just went to that sight and looked like he is taking a breather and maby we have to wait to get plans, is this true? I also read someone saying these stabilizers aren't professional, what does that mean. Do they work as good as a steady cam or not. Looks isnt that important as I will make the finish look as good as I can but if function is marginal that concernes me. Any body have any experience with cody's plan?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

He's stopped selling the plans directly off of his site, now they are available at the his CafePress store (linked to in my original post) for a cheaper price, but the photos aren't color anymore.

Searched the site for "Cody's" Results

The one titled "Cody's Plans Are Back has some good information as may some of the others. In that one Charles P. appears impressed with Cody's demos.

I've been pleased with the unit I built, I haven't gotten quite as good as Cody in his demo, maybe with time.

Cheers,
Brian

BTW Cody's active on the HBS forums (linked to in first post) and always has been helpful with my questions.
Brian Huey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)