Steadicam Pilot + Red Scarlet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old July 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadicam Pilot + Red Scarlet

I know full specs haven't been released yet but do you think a Red Scarlet (NonFixed Lens) with basic production pack will be okay with the Steadicam Pilot or do you think the Flyer would be necessary.

Just trying to stay future proof. Hard to do. What do you think?
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Major Player

With Red, it's hard to know how much the total max weight will be. Matte-box, french-flag, eyebrows, lens, rails, battery, hard-drive, cables, etc ... it all adds up.

Then there's the issue of focus. If you want a cinematic shallow DOF, you'll need to adjust focus constantly throughout the shot. That means you'll need a wireless follow-focus system, and another person (assistant cameraman) to operate it.

Also remember that Red cameras only offer HD-SDI video outputs. Unless you want to spend $15K for the Flyer-LE with the HD-SDI monitor, you'll need a box to convert HD-SDI to composite. Yet more weight. Even if you buy the HD-SDI monitor, you'll probably still want composite for wireless video monitoring, as HD wireless systems are $6500 and up.

I don't really like the Flyer sled with the hinged battery. It's harder to get dynamic balance. My hope is that after the scarlet has been out for a while, Tiffen (and others) will make steadicam rigs that target the scarlet specifically.

For now, I would recommend the Pilot. I'm sure a stripped down scarlet will work with the Pilot. By the time you outgrow the Pilot, there will probably be something better than the Flyer. Also, in a pinch, you can always rent a Glidecam V-20. These are somewhat crude, but go up to 26 pounds (more than the Flyer). They're built like a tank, so most rental houses have them.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)