Steadicam JR: with or without monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Steadicam JR: with or without monitor?

Hi,
I'm about to purchase a Steadicam JR, but I'm not sure whether to buy the one that includes the monitor, or the one without it. My camcorder is light-weight, (Sony TRV38), with a few things added to it, but still pretty light, I'm guessing, compared to the higher-end cameras, like the vx2100. Anyway, I'm wondering if an open 3.5 inch LCD screen from the camcorder will effect the balancing of the camera and/or movement and operation of it, etc. In my case, what would be the wisest purchase: Steadicam with monitor, or without?

Thanks.
Tyrone Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Tyrone:

My feeling is that the with monitor version gives you the most flexibility. As you noted, having the flip-out monitor extended is an issue for balance and footprint in wind (it can act like a sail to a certain extent!) Also there are certain angles that you will not be able to see the flip-out screen, such as a quick pan to the right. The JR monitor may have better anti-reflective coatings for sunlight viewing, depending on the individual camera (not familiar than yours).
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply.
Looks like I'll spend a few extra bucks and get the monitor version. It'll probably be better to have in the long run for use with my future cameras.

Tyrone
Tyrone Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)