I just ordered a Magiqcam!! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old July 4th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #76
Regular Crew

I know they are large, that's why I gave the warning. Wanted to make sure noone said they couldn't see anything. Sometimes people want larger pics, some want smaller. Can't make everyone happy I guess.
Mark Jervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #77
Major Player

No problem Mark. What kind of barttery are you using? I noticed it is being supported by small ball-gimbal type piece.
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I am running two types of cameras on it so for the HD10 I use camera battery but for my DV500 or betasp, etc.. I wire into the dual NP1 battery pack. That pack also runs my lcd monitor.
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #79
Major Player

Thanks. Two more questions. Is the dual arm have one or two springs per section? How does it perform?
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Hey Mark,

How does the DV500 hold up with it. I'm assuming this is a JVC GY-DV500. I have the same camera (with a Cannon 18x6.5 lens) and this would be really important since this will be my primary camera most of the time.
Steven Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #81
Regular Crew

The rig I have has one spring per arm. I have only had a chance to practice with it for a few hours but am planning on doing extensive test next week and will post my results. So far I am very happy with my purchase. I didn't expect a 60k steadicam so I wasn't let down. I have a friend who has a glidecam v16 who is thinking about dumping his rig for this one now. You are correct about the DV500, it is the GYDV500U with single NP1 Battery Pack (but running from rig power) and Fuji 20x lens. I removed the viewfinder to reduce weight on myself but it performs very well. Again, I will be doing more extensive test with that and the HD10 this week (hopefully) so I'll report back with the good and bad.
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Ok, here is a video clip on my first day of practice. Nothing special, but I am impressed with the Magiqcam.

http://www.imaginationx.com/magiqcam.wmv
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #83
Regular Crew

I've ordered one as well, all the way in Singapore.

wonder how long it takes to get to me... :)
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Level Horizon

Scott. At first I thought you hopped on a motorized cart or something to track that train! That's pretty good for the first day. Once you get that horizon leveled you'll be on your way.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #85
Wrangler

Scott, looks like you got some good running practice in! Hope you didn't scare the kids in the train too badly--"Mommy, why is that man wearing the leafblower chasing us?"

I would recommend getting in some more sedate practice also in a confined space like a hallway where you can really examine your horizontals and verticals. Also, I think it's safe to say that you are gripping the post too hard, which we call "overcontrolling". Experiment with lighter and lighter touches until you are barely touching the post at all, and you'll find the horizon settling down on straightaways before you know it.
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #86
Major Player

Nice going Scott. Better than my first day ;) Make sure you take all the advice from Charles P. wspecially when he finally comes out with his video.
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Charles P.... You are absolutely correct. I kept grabbing hard, after each shot, I remind myself not to do it, and each time, I do it again... I assume it is a "trust" issue with the camera, that I don't want to trust that the camera will be ok with a light touch.

As far as scaring the kids, if you listen carefully, you will hear them laughing wildly when they see me struggling to catch the train........ sweat dripping from my face...

The "swaying" motion is definately hard to control. After changing directions on that train, getting the mass to do what I want is hard..
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Very impressive!

First day? Hmmm...I can see your day rate already going up.

I had to set my Coffee down from all the sssswaaayinggg but the running shot was great!!

I AM concerned about the swaying though.

(Charles...I would like to know if the Steadicam Flyer has any advantage when it comes to this problem. Does the Flyer have any damping or other control features to avoid or lessen this?)

With the Magiqcam (now) since it has a type of "fore and aft" adjustment kinda changes my way of thinking.

Scott, how are the adjustments working for you? How well does the vest fit?
Steven Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #89
Regular Crew

About the adjustment, I adjusted it far to the right which is also a little back. It is balanced now. So it appears to work great.

The vest fits, somewhat. It is a little tight in the middle. I am 6' 5" and 245 lbs. John offered to lengthen the straps but I said I didn't want to do that until I had a few hours in the drivers seat. The middle straps can be loosened and the velcro does hold well so it is proving to not be an issue so far.

Swwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.... I will certainly work on that... :)
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #90
Regular Crew

This may sound silly but...say I was working a live concert or tv show and was using Triax or some other video out. I'm wondering how the cables "route" to not upset your balance and not get in the way?

I'm only 6' and 200 lbs so that part sounds good to me. What camera are you using?
Steven Wills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)