DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   I just ordered a Magiqcam!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/26135-i-just-ordered-magiqcam.html)

Scott Balkum May 17th, 2004 04:58 PM

I just ordered a Magiqcam!!

Ok, it's a silly post. I am excited. I now have 4 weeks to get abs of steel. Sit-ups etc.. Now, I would like to see some videos out there that were shot with the magiqcam. This will give me something to look at for 4 weeks. I did a search and didn't find but one video and it was on magiqcam.com. I would love to see actual user's videos. Any tips are appreciated too.

thanks!

Mark Jervis May 17th, 2004 05:37 PM

I received mine about 2 weeks ago but haven't been able to use it yet. I will be doing some practice shooting later this week with it and if all goes well I will post some footage. I had mine in a local shop for a week having some custom made cables to mount to various monitors, batteries, cameras, etc.. and just got everything back today. The rig is very nice and I have mounted 2 cameras two it since I received it, a JVC HD10U and a JVC GY-DV500 which weighs in at close to 17lbs with batteries. It works a number on your back the first few times of putting it on so be ready. If you would like some pics of the rig let me know what you want and I'll take a few and post them.

Jean-Philippe Archibald May 17th, 2004 05:46 PM

Mark if you can, link some pics of your rig please. I would really like to see wich modifications you have done on it, and also the new arm attachement that is supposed to have the pitch adjustement.

Thank you!

Mark Jervis May 17th, 2004 05:47 PM

No problem. I'll take some pics of it on Wednesday and put them up on my site. I'll let everyone know when they are posted.

Scott Balkum May 17th, 2004 05:54 PM

Yes Mark,, thanks. I would love to see some pictures too!!

Jean-Philippe Archibald May 17th, 2004 05:59 PM

Thank you very much Mark!

Douglas Akers May 17th, 2004 10:28 PM

I just received mine today after ordering it in Feburary.
I got in about 30 minutes of practice before my back muscles were screaming.
Proper dynamic balance is still elusive but, I think the more time I have to play around with it, the better it'll get.
My first shoot is June 11th.
Wish me luck!

Charles Papert May 17th, 2004 11:56 PM

You guys make me proud!

Congrats Scott, you'll have a lot of fun with it. As far as viewing footage taken with the system, might as well tune in "ER" or watch "The Shining" or virtually any movie or TV show these days, because most of the Steadicam shots you'll see COULD have been made on a Magiqcam with the right touch!

Scott Balkum May 18th, 2004 09:24 AM

What fun!! After I learned about steadycams, I started to look around at all the shots I had always wondered about. I couldn't figure out how they could do it so smoothly and then, the "magic" was shown. I love it. I remembered one of the strangest videos I had seen that I couldn't figure out how they did it was a Green Day video for Macy's Day Parade. The entire video was steadycam'd and done well. Check it out if you have the chance. I can just imagine that Charles' back looks like the incredible hulk. How do you do it with the heavier gear........

Jean-Philippe Archibald May 24th, 2004 08:06 AM

Hey Mark!

Have you took some pictures of your rig? I would really like to see your modifications and the new adjustable vest connector. If you want, I can host them for you!

Thank you,

Mark Jervis May 24th, 2004 08:18 AM

Sorry for taking soo long, I'm getting married on Saturday and have been running around nonstop. Do you want pics of me flying it or just some close ups of the rig itself?

Jean-Philippe Archibald May 24th, 2004 08:55 AM

Ho, congratulation Mark! Wish you have lot of happy moments!

I think that some close up of the sled and the vest connector could be fine, but it is always cool to see an operator in action! :-)

It's up to you!

Thanks

Ed Liew May 24th, 2004 08:18 PM

just curious, how long did you guys have to wait for your order. i'm still waiting for mine, almost six weeks now.

Scott Balkum May 24th, 2004 08:34 PM

That's not encouraging... I was told 4 weeks.. I am hopelessly optomistic.........

Ed Liew May 24th, 2004 08:43 PM

i was told 3 to 4 weeks before i place an order. i guess they must have received quite alot of orders lately. will still be waiting.

Scott Balkum May 24th, 2004 08:54 PM

It sounded like he was busy. Well,,,,, 1 week down... :)

Mark Jervis May 24th, 2004 09:27 PM

Sorry for not posting the pics yet, I'll post them in the morning and give the link. I waited a good 5-6 weeks for mine. They are very busy but the wait is well worth it.

James Emory May 24th, 2004 10:28 PM

Magiq in action

I believe you can find some pictures of this rig being used on the site below. He's the same guy shown on the Magiq site.

www.3skullstudios.com/Past.html

Jean-Philippe Archibald May 30th, 2004 12:36 PM

Still no pics Mark? Your new wife is taking all of your time? :-)

Mark Jervis June 4th, 2004 01:56 PM

sorry. just got back from my honeymoon....I promise the pics will come in the next day.

Thanks

Norman Woo June 4th, 2004 08:46 PM

Pics from the Honeymoon or ...

Scott Balkum June 4th, 2004 10:26 PM

This might get interesting. That would certainly be a "magic" cam.

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 4th, 2004 10:37 PM

Yes, a stabilizer must be very handy for these shots! :-)

Scott Balkum June 7th, 2004 10:15 AM

:( I just heard that my Magiqcam won't be ready for delivery next week. I am not sure what the delay is, but John said he would let me know more next week.

So the question for every owner is, aside from situps, what in the world did you do to pass the time before your rig arrived??

I know it will be worth the wait.

Douglas Akers June 7th, 2004 03:12 PM

Well, I gotta say that muscle conditioning alone did only a little to help the learning curve I have been experiencing.
The finesse factor is very high and setup has been critical.
I still struggle with the balance of the rig as far as it changing during use.
At first I was simply over muscling the rig and that definitly led to the back fatigue I first felt.
Now I've learned to be more relaxed but, I still SUCK!
My first shoot is Friday.
Oh boy!!!

Charles Papert June 7th, 2004 03:34 PM

Start studying classic Steadicam sequences! It's a great way to get your mind into designing moving frames.

Here are some titles to get you started:

The Shining
Goodfellas
Point Break (Keanu walking through HQ at beginning)
Pulp Fiction

For beautiful, long marathon shots (not necessarily great films, caveat emptor!)
Bonfire of the Vanities (opening scene)
Raising Cain (walk & talk with Linda Hunt through lobby)
Carlito's Way (Grand Central chase towards end)
Outbreak (walkthrough CDC at beginning)
and currently the jaw-dropper: Russian Ark, a 90 minute continuous Steadicam shot...!

It doesn't matter that these were made with rigs that cost 50x as much as a Magiqcam; the principles are the same and there's a lot to be learned there. Even though it takes a while to get good at the physical side of operating, the mental aspect is really the fun part. Study the framing, the headroom, the transitions and the blocking of actors and architecture. It'll be worth it!

Aaron Koolen June 7th, 2004 05:20 PM

A little aside, but hopefully not too OT, but what are the most used muscles for stabilisers like the Magiqcam, Steadycam etc? Is lower back the best? Abs? I ask cause I have been thinking about investing in something like this but I have, for many years, had a a slightly less than perfect lower back. Small amount of deterioration and curvature loss. Now this is not a super major thing in everyday stuff, but I was wondering if it's something I should be very aware of before going down the stabiliser route?

Cheers
Aaron

Charles Papert June 7th, 2004 10:03 PM

Aaron, you pretty much pinned it. Lower back, generally focused on the same side as the arm is attached to the vest (some people fly on the right, others on the left). It's important to say that it's not inherently BAD for your back, it's just that there aren't many activities that consistently use those muscles to that degree so most people are a bit weak in that area. That said, having a pre-existing condition goes a step further, so Aaron, you may want to spend some time with a rig before making your purchase.

As far as traditional exercises that can be done without a rig that help in that area: anything to do with the abs is good as it will help relieve the burden on the back muscles as well as help your posture. Gym-equipment-wise, the back extension machine as well as the Roman chair will both specifically target the muscle groups required.

Aaron Koolen June 7th, 2004 10:37 PM

Thanks Charles. Guess I'll have to get a bit stronger before I dive into one of these things then ;)

Cheers
Aaron

Norman Woo June 8th, 2004 11:20 AM

When I first got my Glidecam V16 back in April of this year, I couldn't last for more than 5 minutes. One of the exercise that I have doing on a nightly basis is back stretching. My first job (1 week after I got my Gldiecam) with the Glidecam was for a local cable company taping a show from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM (with breaks in between). At the end of the day I was drenched in sweat and my back was killing me. I really felt it the next day.

My second shoot was for a fashion show back in May and it was a lot better. The back pain was still there but not to the point where I couldn't move.

My latest job was to shoot a wedding reception. The reception started at 7:30 til about midnight. I was strapped with the Glidecam the whole night and there was no noticeable back pain this time. I taped the wedding party entering the reception, the first dance (flying around the couple), the games, speeches, and the dancing ....

The key is to stretch the back and practice every night. You'll also notice that the first time, getting the horizon levelled will be a challenge.

My next gig is flying the Glidecam V16 here in Montreal in the Canada Day Parade (July 1st).

Good luck

Douglas Akers June 8th, 2004 03:22 PM

Charles P,
Yes, I have studied many of those steadicam shots and some of them are my faves.
The framing and staging thing is my weakest point right now.
My head room floats a little and keeping one eye on the monitor and one on the ground is quite a challenge.
I seem to favor the less complex shots of say, Full Metal Jacket, where the camera leads the actors and then follows.
By saying "less complex", I am by no means implying they were easy to shoot, only that they seem to have simpler staging.
The shot I have been watching over and over lately is the "Head Over Heals" scene from Donnie Darko.
There are a couple of hidden cuts in there but I love it none the less.
I have to say Charles, that I've read just about every post you've made and your wisdom gave me the confidence to attempt this crazy idea of operating a "steadicam"
Thank you again!!
By this fall, I hope to have some of the footage from this horror movie I'm shooting posted online for critique.
I'll let you know how it all goes after I get back from location on the 22nd.
Cheers!

Charles Papert June 8th, 2004 04:33 PM

Sounds great!

One of my good buddies, Dave Chameides, did the Steadicam on "Donnie Darko". He's done some amazing work, especially on "ER" and "West Wing" a few years back. That reminds of another "marathon" shot he did on "The Wedding Planner"--the good news is that it comes right at the beginning of the movie so you don't have to watch the rest of it!

I only recommend these sorts of moves to watch because there's so much to be got out of them. As for me, I've only done a couple of "wow" shots in my career, most of my stuff gets chopped up into little bits so that you'd never recognize it for Steadicam. Which is sort of the idea, but it doesn't get much attention that way. 95% of feature and episodic Steadicam is leading people down a hallway as invisibly as possible.

Consistent headroom is something that takes quite a while to master. Using the boom of the arm to make quick adjustments is key, it's a lot easier than tilting.

Rob Lohman June 9th, 2004 02:01 AM

You certainly want to watch "Donnie Darko" fully. Heck, the new
Director's Cut is coming out which actually is supposed to be even
better!

Ed Liew June 9th, 2004 09:24 PM

found this magiqcam posting on ebay with photos of the magiqcam new design and look. just follow the link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=3820649982&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Scott Balkum June 9th, 2004 09:34 PM

That is interesting. I wonder if I will be getting a free hard case too?

Ed Liew June 10th, 2004 12:44 AM

only if you order yours through ebay if i'm not mistaken.

Scott Balkum June 22nd, 2004 11:07 AM

I just got an email, mine should be shipping this week. YEAAAHH!...

doubling up on the situps now.

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 22nd, 2004 11:15 AM

Scott,

Good news!

Don't forget to put some pics online!

Ed Liew June 22nd, 2004 08:44 PM

scott,
certainly is good news. how long did you wait for yours. i'm in the 10 weeks now.

ed

Ed Liew June 25th, 2004 09:52 PM

just got my mail too. was told mine will ship out on the 29th.