DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Just built a Stablizer, now how do I (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/27421-just-built-stablizer-now-how-do-i.html)

Adam Beck June 11th, 2004 11:50 AM

Just built a Stablizer, now how do I

How do I use the thing? I know I could figure it out, but are there any tricks to using it. Anybody know where I could find this information?
thanks

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 11th, 2004 12:25 PM

what kind of stabilizer have you built?

Charles Papert June 11th, 2004 01:52 PM

Stay tuned for my stabilizer instructional video--I sound like a freakin' broken record, but I'm working on it, really I am!

Adam Beck June 14th, 2004 12:25 PM

I built the Stablizer from

Dan Selakovich's book, "Killer Camera Rigs you can build." I think I can figure it out, but I wanted to see if there were any tricks of the trade out there.

Thanks

Adam

Aaron Koolen June 15th, 2004 06:49 AM

Charles, not much of a broken record, I've never heard about it before! When is it out?

Aaron

Dan Selakovich June 24th, 2004 09:10 AM

Hi Adam,

You can alway ASK ME if you are having any trouble or questions with the rigs in my book. While the "How to Use" section is pretty extensive compared to what your get with commercial stabilizers, I'd be happy to help you with exercises or helping you work out how to get any shots you might need. You know where to find me!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Adam Beck October 12th, 2004 01:37 PM

Hey Dan

When is your next book coming out?

Yang Wen October 12th, 2004 02:20 PM

How can you have built a stabilizer and not know how to use it? I would think the latter is inherient of the former.

Leigh Wanstead October 12th, 2004 05:45 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen : How can you have built a stabilizer and not know how to use it? I would think the latter is inherient of the former. -->>>

No

Some people just follow the other's design.

Regards
Leigh

Dan Selakovich October 12th, 2004 08:10 PM

" Hey Dan

When is your next book coming out?"

Hi Adam,

Boy, heck if I know! People keep requesting things and I keep designing them. I was hoping by Christmas, but that doesn't look likely. Early 2005. Although, I am offering plans for the stabilizer with the vest/arm to people who ordered volume I as soon as I get all the kinks worked out. It's a bit tricky designing it without welds, since most people can't and don't want to deal with that. Which is fine, I'll get it.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Kevin Sizemore October 22nd, 2004 01:05 PM

Dan, I just ordered your book.

It looks very useful. Can i suggest you offer the option of a downloadable PDF to those of us that have ordered the paper edition? Just for the color pictures, really.

Dan Selakovich October 23rd, 2004 09:08 AM

Hi Kevin,

The file is well over a gig, and programs like stuffit can't compress photos, so a download was never really practical. I used to offer CD version of Killer Camera Rigs. Unfortunately, we no longer offer it. We were the victims of piracy. Some fine citizen thought he'd take 3 years of my work, (not to mention the thousands of dollars it took to get this book finished), and make copies of the disk and sell them. After tracking it down, it was a friend of a friend of someone that ordered the disk. So it's just too hard to control something so easily copied. As for the color photos, I've even trashed them (on advice from my attorney) so they don't even exist any more. I really should change that page of the web site!

If it is any consolation, printing the book went through ink like water, so it ended up costing a small fortune for the person printing it. The printed book is MUCH cheaper in the long run.

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the order! You won't be sorry!

Dan