DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glideshot Dollies, anyone... anyone... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/28259-glideshot-dollies-anyone-anyone.html)

Doug Turner June 29th, 2004 11:09 PM

Glideshot Dollies, anyone... anyone...

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm tempted to get a simple kit of theirs... www.glideshot.com - their smaller dollies seem quite cheap.

I've seen a lot of kit designs out there, but I'd prefer to pay $150 for something made professionally than spend $50 at the hardware store and cobble something together.

Cheers for any information!

Cheers, Doug.

Rob Lohman June 30th, 2004 03:47 AM

Looks interesting, but it's still cheaper to build such things
yourself. Also, there is no listing on the maximum weight each
dolly supports (ie, if someone can ride with the camera or not)
and how much track is included with each package.

Doug Turner June 30th, 2004 05:37 PM

Rob, they sell track separately - it's all on their website. As for weight load, I'd be looking to get the smaller one (or even just buy the wheels off them), so I wouldn't be looking at risking my generous 110kg on it anyway!

I've just received a quick reply off them when asking about postage to Australia - so if you're interested in loads, then drop them an line.

I know it's cheaper to build it yourself, but I'd rather spend a wee bit more money on it and spend the time I save writing or doing camera tests (or doing up my cocktail table arcade games that the missus keeps reminding me are cluttering up the garage).

Doug Turner July 1st, 2004 12:32 AM

Glideshot's larger dollies can carry up to 500lbs apparently.

Wesley Wong July 1st, 2004 03:36 AM

Anyone tried this ?

www.indiedolly.com

Rob Lohman July 1st, 2004 03:46 AM

Doug: the first product (as do most/all others) says in the first line:

" 16" x 16" deck with 1/2" rails "

I'm assuming with rails indicates it does ship with rails/tracks? Or
is that something else?

Doug Turner July 1st, 2004 04:35 AM

Hi Rob,

The 'rails' looks like it refers to the lips around the decking. It sticks up 1/2", so your tripod feet don't slip off the edge of the deck.

Cheers, Doug.

Rob Lohman July 1st, 2004 05:27 AM

Sounds logical, Doug! Thanks.

K. Forman July 1st, 2004 06:14 AM

Two things caught my attention-
1) The cost of the Dolly doubles with wheels that swivel, for use with a curved track.
2) They don't sell curved tracks.

Mike Long July 1st, 2004 11:09 AM

Hi Keith,

Your first point is actually a question I get all the time. People wondering why such a price hike between the two dollies of the same size. The reason is in the cost of the extra 8 wheels, different wheel brackets (requiring machining & welding), and the use of the swivel bearings. I thought about raising the price of the GS5, but that would be just plain selfish...

Curved track is something we've been working on for about a year now, and sadly, we still have not perfected. I'm hoping to have it available before my kids go to college (and I don't have kids yet), but it's a tedious process.

Doug is exactly right, refering to the "rails" as that which surronds the dolly tops. This was done, as Doug mentioned, to prevent the tripod from slipping off, as well as subconciously telling the operator where the edge is (GS500 & GS5000 models).

I've been meaning to add the weight limits to our website for some time now, and really have no witty excuse for not doing so. We have rated each wheel assembly (4 wheel assemblies in a GS1, GS2, and GS3) at 150lbs., and even though there is no room to do so, the GS5 & GS50 will hold a 250 lb. person (yes, I'm the idiot that tried it...several times).

Rob-
The dollies listed in our products area are sold as the dolly only, without track. We have been know however to put together package deals.

Enough rambling...

Rob Lohman July 1st, 2004 11:30 AM

Mike: thanks for the clear explenation on the questions. Much
appreciated. If you do update your website with maximum
weight figures than also do include them in kilograms (KG) for
our european folks please. We often have to do the math
ourselves which is not too customer friendly on the "international"
internet! Thanks!

Ty Chu January 18th, 2008 01:10 AM

Glideshot 5000 - Excellent Dolly - I use them

I own the Glideshot 5000 dolly with aluminum track.
Awesome dolly - faster setup than the indie dolly systems, heavier so you get smoother tracking or push ins. The other brand has no weight behind it so your dolly shots are not as smooth.

If anyone is interested in buying my Glideshot dolly with 15 feet of track for $750.00 + shipping bump me an email for pics and or info, I am moving into more sound these days so I no longer have a need for this dolly - It has served me very well and is in excellent condition - these dollys are bombproof!!!

Here are some dolly shots in this short realestate ad I made for a client using the glideshot 5000:

7 dolly shots - the rest are stills.

http://revver.com/video/620347/dolly-shots/

Cheers,

Ty

Prech Marton February 8th, 2008 05:02 AM

beautifil clip!
i wrote an email to you