Who all has built a homebuilt steadycam? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:10 AM   #31
Major Player

I hold the bearing itself.
It's hard i know.
The bearing have not only 15 grad rolling.
It can rotate fully in all axis.
(of course the monopod limits this rotating)
Prech Marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #32
Wrangler

<<It can rotate fully in all axis.
(of course the monopod limits this rotating)>>

That's what I was referring to.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #33
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Prech Marton : I hold the bearing itself.
It's hard i know.
The bearing have not only 15 grad rolling.
It can rotate fully in all axis.
(of course the monopod limits this rotating) -->>>
Just wondering where to get a bearing like the one you're using. What would be its 'technical' name? I realize you're in Hungary, but thought I'd ask anyway...
Roman Shafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:03 PM   #34
Major Player

I don't know the english name.
Here in Hungary we call "önbeálló" :))

(maybe self setting...)
Prech Marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #35
Major Player

Just chiming in with my .02 here.

I am a happy purchaser of Dan's books. So far I have built the stabilizer and the dolly and have been really impressed with both. Have just used them around the garage but I'll be using them "live" in a month or so. I did test footage of the stabilizer and was amazed at the difference.

Easy is a relative term. Charles is right in that you need to have some skill at putting things together, but if you tinker around the house and change your own oil you can handle this.
His book is set up to take you from easiest to most difficult and the pictures are great. He even goes as far as pointing out any "optical illusions" in the pictures, like if a bolt is reflected in the metal so it looks like two instead of one.

The parts lists are very detailed but you're still going to have to hit probably 3 different places to find it all (the old Lowes-Home Depot-Ace grand tour that one does for any "hour long" DYI project). And you still may not find every last nut and bolt so you'll have to improvise, which is the name of the game doing this type of thing anyhow.

I do recommend building the first one of each as a prototype cuase you're going to learn by doing of course. The stuff is so cheap you can build two for under $100 and the second one will be polished and tight. And the wheels and gimbals can just be slapped on the new one.

Once I get my tripod I'm going to get a plate assembly for the stabilizer for faster changes, but at $40 or so it will cost more than the whole shebang :-o

I did have problems finding some of the metal. I live near DC but I couldn't find a place willing to deal in such small pieces which is understandable. I ordered some stuff over the web but the shipping was more than the metal :-( I would love it if Dan could team with a supplier that could ship the stuff reasonably. Like a "stabilizer kit" or something. Anodized tubing is near impossible to find.

I did have questions during the process which Dan emailed back right away. And he sends out emails to his customers when someone tweaks a design for the better.

No, I don't work for him, know him, or am intimate with him in any way. Just a happy customer.

If you can hang a ceiling fan, use tools in a reasonably controlled fashion and follow clear instructions you can make this stuff.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #36
Major Player

Wow Reid, thanks for a great review!

The Annodized aluminum in the book is just a suggestion, though. It just looks pretty, but certainly not necessary. If I remember correctly you had ordered the aluminum tube before e-mailing me, otherwise I'd have been happy to pick up the tubing for you. I hate seeing people over-pay for this stuff. The kit is a great idea, and something that I've been thinking about for quite a while. Unfortunately, I am swamped around here (working on rigs for volume II) and haven't had the time!

Thanks again,

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #37
Major Player

Yeah, I think that was right. No big deal, it works just as well non-anodized, it's just not as cool looking. :-(

I haven't given up all hope of finding a local supplier. It boggles my mind that I can't find a place. After a couple more tries if I'm still striking out I'll drop you a line and see if you can't hook me up with the anodized stuff.

I also had trouble finding the real beefy l brackets for the dolly wheels. Both Lowes and HD had virtually every other kind of simpson bracket. I went with a lighter bracket but I's still like to find the beefier ones.

I'm getting my tripod tomorrow so then I'm going to configure leg brackets for the dolly sled.

Is the new book going to contain info about floro lights or tungsten sets?
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #38
Major Player

Hi Reid,

Yep, volume II will have a ton of lighting, gaffer and grip stuff. I'll send you the alternate plans for the dolly. Let me know if you need anything for the tripod!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #39
New Boot

selkavich?

That darned Dan, he's the man.

Seriously guys, and Dan isn't paying me or giving me his cool dog, Monk, either. You can count on this guy to tinker and figure and work on these rigs until he soon gives some very seriously bigger companies a serious scare.

Keep it up, Dan.

David Fisher
www.bkkprods.com
David L. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #40
Major Player

Damn! You guys are the best! Thanks!

Dan
www.dvcamerarigs.com
Old August 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #41
Major Player

Eh Simon, here's two pics of another homebuilt rig fully loaded flying a super 16mm camera. More prove!

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/loicpics.html
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #42
Wrangler

Nice rig there! (and this one has a tap, Charles K., don't think I didn't look!!)
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:51 AM   #43
Major Player

I never doubted you for a second Charles P. ;) As a matter of fact, I knew you had to look. :)
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #44
New Boot

wow! now that's something. I would have never thought. Thanks.
I guess it's save enough to say, Yes it's possible?!
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #45
Major Player

Yes, it's save to say it but remember it is all due to the amount of careful mechanical machining of the materials involved (not major but enough) to justify putting a film camera on a homebuilt rig.
BTW, his rig can handle up to 25kg. Not bad eh?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)