Who all has built a homebuilt steadycam? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #76
Major Player

Her you go: http://www.mk-v-ar.com/

To get an automatic e-mail notification just make sure the option is chosen when you reply. Yes, the option is given to you when you reply to a post. Just look at the small window below the reply window, when you are going to reply to a post.
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #77
Major Player

Quick addition/clarification to Charles's comment for those that dont' know. The AlienRevolution is motorized and electronically leveled. -And in deed, moves in a similar fasion to the above design.

Also note that the above system would loose horizon as you went around a corner (think a bowl of water) unless it was perfectly balanced (which in turn would prevent self leveling.) Quite a chalenge!

- Mikko
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #78
Trustee

Well done ;-)

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Powis
Just for your interest (if any) here's one I designed earlier...

Hope to actually build a prototype one day.

Designed before I'd seen or heard of a Fig Rig - but they are different beasts anyway - they just look similar at first glance.

http://www.videotutor.co.uk/stabiliser/frontview.gif

http://www.videotutor.co.uk/stabiliser/sideview.gif

The device self levels on horizontal and vertical. A simple brake system in the handle allows you to lock it off on either plane. When fully locked off on both planes that would be the equivalent to a Fig Rig. When not locked off it would self level.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #79
Major Player

For the past 17 years, I've been developing a shouldermount/steadying rig that is quite different from a Steadycam. My device is not intended to allow for a moving camera, but rather to help hold it steady when the camera operator is stationary. Mine is especially useful when shooting with a long lens and with it, I rarely need to use a tripod. It has several removable segments and can be varied from a simple, lightweight thing to something weighing about 12 lbs. and very complicated. An adjustable monopod leg is one of the optional features, as is a counterweight down low. I use a different assembly of the many parts for each occasion. I hope to set up a website soon that has several photos and diagrams for building it. It's made of fiberglass, aluminum tubing, wood and stiff foam. I've used versions of it on camcorders as large as a 17-lb. Beta, down to a 2-lb TRV730.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #80
Regular Crew

i know someone else already asked but whoever wants to sell their rig please email me or send me a pm.
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #81
Regular Crew

well someone sent me an email to their website. Thanks buddy but if I was going to pay 2k I would buy the glidecam smooth shooter for $1400 on stealbay. That being said I did buy this fellows unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

He was very "helpful "over the phone
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles King
Her you go: http://www.mk-v-ar.com/

To get an automatic e-mail notification just make sure the option is chosen when you reply. Yes, the option is given to you when you reply to a post. Just look at the small window below the reply window, when you are going to reply to a post.
wow that is a sled, you look like robocop. \and the website is very professional . What program did you use to do the website. im assuming it was with a mac.
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #83
Major Player

Charles, I think you misunderstood me. I'm not the owner of the site. I just directed Kevin to the site that displayed the AR to which he was inquiring about the meaning of the word Alien. ;)

It's Howard's site the guy who helped developed the system. I saw it at IBC last year and was very impressed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)