Video shot by my stablizer[2] - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old February 6th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #211
Trustee

More video

Click here
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #212
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
I don't own hvx200, so just relax. I won't put hd video on the net for now. ;-)
LOL!
Thank god! :)

Thanks for the smaller file, it's downloading now...

Ok, just watched it...
That's MUCH better Leigh. Composition, headroom and horizon where all good for most of the shot. You lost the headroom around the middle there a bit though where you gut him off at the neck, other than that, good.
Does your rig have a gimble? If it does, you are gripping the post too hard, if it doesn't, then it's looking good. There is still a lot of little shake - especially "panning shake". looking much better though.

Terry,
Yes I did get a few looks at the rig (they only had one there). The station here ran an uncut (no commericals) international verson of the feed on one of the digital channels, so I got to see all the bits durign the commericals too. Interesting stuff, expecially the annoucers yapping on seemingly oblivious to their hot mics! I really would like to see the commercials though. I guess I'll have to track them down later.

I have no idea what rig it was to be honest. Nothing that I recognized right off the top of my head. Of course I never really got a good looks at it (silly game getting in the way and what not).

Did you guys see Skycam hovering around the field too? That thing is so cool!

- Mikko
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #213
Major Player

Mikko,

I always point out to my family when a steadycam (generic name) shot happens. They're starting to say "yea, yea, we know" so I guess I'll have to keep it to myself from now on.

Leigh,

NZ looks inviting.

Hey, not to be a downer but I think I've seen you father walk enough now. How about some action shots?!

The first "walking" shot had no variety to it. Actually both shots were pretty much the same except the second was better. Remember the rule of thirds...I draw lines on my side mounted monitor dividing it into thirds both vertically and horizontally then try to put my focus on one of the four crossing lines. Most of time the eyes should be on the first line down. You might know this already but "just in case".

Action, action, action-we want action...

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #214
Trustee

Hi Mikko,

My rig has a gimble.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try not to hold hard.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
LOL!
Ok, just watched it...
That's MUCH better Leigh. Composition, headroom and horizon where all good for most of the shot. You lost the headroom around the middle there a bit though where you gut him off at the neck, other than that, good.
Does your rig have a gimble? If it does, you are gripping the post too hard, if it doesn't, then it's looking good. There is still a lot of little shake - especially "panning shake". looking much better though.

- Mikko
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #215
Trustee

Hi Terry,

Thanks for watching the video.

I would rather slow walking perfect than doing some action shots in the first stage.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
Mikko,

Leigh,

NZ looks inviting.

Hey, not to be a downer but I think I've seen you father walk enough now. How about some action shots?!

The first "walking" shot had no variety to it. Actually both shots were pretty much the same except the second was better. Remember the rule of thirds...I draw lines on my side mounted monitor dividing it into thirds both vertically and horizontally then try to put my focus on one of the four crossing lines. Most of time the eyes should be on the first line down. You might know this already but "just in case".

Action, action, action-we want action...

Tery
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #216
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
I always point out to my family when a steadycam (generic name) shot happens. They're starting to say "yea, yea, we know" so I guess I'll have to keep it to myself from now on.
It took me about a year to train myself not to do it at *every* shot.

...I still get a dirty look every time during a movie I open my mouth and say "Ohh, tha.." "SHUT UP!, WE KNOW!" :-D

- Mikko
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #217
Trustee

This kind of mistake only will happen to shoot some actor/actress. It is really difficult to notice that while I practise alone. But my dad can't be always with me all time. So I can't practise that. Do you have some suggestion to overcome this problem?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
You lost the headroom around the middle there a bit though where you gut him off at the neck
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #218
Trustee

I also made a mistake in my previous videos. I forgot to put sunshade on. The footage demos the reflection of the sun light which is not I want to show.

Regards
Leigh
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #219
Wrangler

Hi boys:

I caught a quick glance of the rig on the sidelines at the Super Bowl and it looked like a Provid, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #220
Trustee

Is there anyway to watch that on the net for free?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Hi boys:

I caught a quick glance of the rig on the sidelines at the Super Bowl and it looked like a Provid, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #221
Major Player

Charles, I thought it was an ProVid at first too. it looked like it. But the sled base was built out of rods and not a single peice like the provid.

It almost looked like a D-box at the bottom of the post, with the monitor on 2 rods, and then the battery on another 2 rods, at an angle down from the back. - Not straight back like most modular rigs.
Same shape as an Archer/ProVid-2 sled, but with dual rods supporting each side instead of one solid peice. I couldn't quite nail what rig it was.

- Mikko
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #222
Wrangler

Leigh:

The most beneficial way to do it is to find someone else in your area who shares your interest in learning to operate a stabilizer; the two of you take turns acting and operating, then sit down and watch/critique the results together.
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #223
Trustee

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the tip. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #224
Wrangler

Was sitting on telephone hold for 20 minutes just now so I watched your latest video Leigh--I still recommend that you concentrate on backing up, not just following. I'm guessing you don't like it as much because I don't see it in the videos.

I see that you are also a still photographer. Consider that making videos are like taking still photos 24 (or 30 or 60) times a second, and that the care you take in composing a single image is absolutely the same care you need to take in composing moving images. When your father goes up the ramp and you are tracking him, you have him dead center in the frame; this is a choice, but is it a conscious choice? Would you do the same if it was a still photo? The "standard" composition when someone is in profile or close to it is to give them "look room"--i.e. more space in front of them, in the direction they are facing. Or you might create tension by "short-siding" them by giving them more room behind, or even do what you did ("center-punching"). But the important thing is that EVERY frame is a choice and a single composition, and when you park the playhead on a given frame it should be an intentional and pleasing image.
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #225
Trustee

Hi Charles,

Thanks for taking time to watch my videos and giving help.

I felt that backing up is less challenge than following. As people used to moving forward and face forward. It is very easy to spot any shakeness by moving forward at eye level. But backing up is unusal for normal people. I guess no one move backward daily. ;-) So it is very hard for people to judge the shakeness of the video while camera face back ward.

Here is the video I shot backing up.

Click here

Actually I love to do Don Juan mode for normal height and low mode. It is easy too. The angle of the view is so dramatic and fun.

I have no assistant, so I don't dare to face actor and move backward. It is not an option for me to practise now.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Was sitting on telephone hold for 20 minutes just now so I watched your latest video Leigh--I still recommend that you concentrate on backing up, not just following. I'm guessing you don't like it as much because I don't see it in the videos.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)