DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Anyone please... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/32699-anyone-please.html)

Michael Best September 29th, 2004 09:22 AM

Anyone please...

I wasn't sure where to post this - I can't seem to get any viable
responses from vendors. This is the setup - XL2 on top of a Magiqcam with a 7" Panny LCD, on camera light, I want to be able to run the light and LCD via battery power. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I see adpaters for the monitor that will use a Canon battery but one vendor said that was impossible. I see these battery belts but can they run both? Please, any help or recommendations with this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Jacques Mersereau September 29th, 2004 10:15 AM

Your Canon camera's power requirements differ from the light and
the LCD in voltage.
Since you didn't post what the manufacture's specs are on those accessory
voltages I will *try a guess*. Most likely those accessories use 12 volt power.

12 volt power is usually supplied by several batteries in a battery
belt (though most on camera battery systems (Aaton Bauer) also provide
12-14volt power). I don't know what voltage the XL2 uses,
but you could either use a battery just for camera or buy the
Canon adapter that transforms 12v to 7.2v(? trying to remember)
and run all systems off the battery belt.

Personally, I use the two battery system as lights draw mucho juice
and I'd rather have dark video than no video when the battery gets
low.

Bob Pennington September 29th, 2004 10:19 AM

POWERING GEAR

Michael- you can use the Anton/Bauer QR-XL1C plate on the back of the XL-2. Using an Anton/Bauer Hytron 50 or Dionic 90 battery you can power the camera, use the PowerTap (2 pin) and connect a PowerTap multi cable- this will give you 4 outputs, you can use 1 of them to power your light and the second to power your monitor (be sure to check the voltage input range of your monitor- and check your polarity of the cable). 1 battery system to power all of your gear. You also have additional ports to power wireless receivers or hard disc recorders if you desire.

Michael Best September 29th, 2004 10:31 AM

This is starting to give me hope - THANKS

Jacques Mersereau September 29th, 2004 11:26 AM

Get ready for sticker shock. Aaton Bauer is the rolls royce of battery power.
You should expect to plunk down MORE than a grand for A-B.
Check out bescor.com for heavier, but reasonable pricing.

Ken Tanaka September 29th, 2004 12:20 PM

OT: Welcome Bob Pennington

We are delighted to welcome Bob Pennington of Anton/Bauer as one of our newest members. Anton/Bauer was kind enough to loan me one of their Dionic batteries, a Titan Twin charger, and a QR-XL1-C mounting plate for my recent article on the Firestore FS-3.

They are, indeed, the "cadillac" of camera battery power sources, and worth every penny for critical applications.

Ed Liew September 29th, 2004 12:53 PM

hi michael,
sorry to say, magiqcam universal battery mount does not hold anton gold mount - its too small. maybe you could ask john to cut a bigger plate so that it would fit the anton gold mount.

ed

Michael Best September 29th, 2004 01:05 PM

Ed, thanks for letting me know that. What do you intend to use?
Is there any other way to attach it? I doubt John's going to want
to customize it, I would think I could possibly do it myself or do you think that's not a good idea? Maybe Bescor will have something that will work. How big are the pods on the sled?

Bob Pennington September 29th, 2004 02:19 PM

XL-2 Power Options

XL-1 or XL-2 Users-- we can modify our bracket to work similar to our "Pouch" style adapters. We offer Pouch adapters for other smaller DV camera's from Sony, Panasonic and JVC. We haven't offered this style of bracket in the past... since the Canon XL-1 had a shoulder mount, we focused on the bracket mounted to the camera. For applications like the Magiqcam or other uses that may require battery power for the XL-1 or XL-2 not mounted on the camera, These pouch adapters also work with GL-1 and GL-2 cameras. Please contact your Anton/Bauer dealer or Anton/Bauer directly.

Michael Best September 29th, 2004 02:22 PM

I take it this new? I was told by a rep at one of the vendors that
this was not possible with the Anton/Bauer line.

Bob Pennington September 29th, 2004 02:57 PM

Pouch adapters

The Pouch style adapters have been around for a few years.
We did not make Pouch style for XL-1, since it was a shoulder mounted camera. With the popularity of the GL-1 and GL-2 we are having more request for a Canon Pouch mount. The pouch that we provide is made for the smaller cased batteries- the Hytron 50 or Dionic 90. If you want to use a larger style battery- you can place the battery in a fanny pack etc.

Ed Liew September 30th, 2004 04:22 AM

this is how i mount my anton gold plate to magiqcam battery mount http://visualline.7p.com/magicam_anton_mount.html

if you intend to use light with this battery, there is a sub power outlet by the side of the plate. only thing is you would have to use their light - which is not cheap.

my experience using magiqcam with portable lighting is, not easy. the wire would sort of make the rig go off balance if it is not probably tie to the sled and by this, you would sort of limit some of your movement.

maybe the expert can explain further on this.

ed

Michael Best September 30th, 2004 05:45 AM

Thanks Ed, so the black plate with the post is part of the Magiqcam I take it? Do you have the model numbers of the
Anton/Bauer stuff you are using? Thanks

Bob Pennington September 30th, 2004 06:51 AM

Power Outputs

The outputs on the Anton/Bauer gold mount plates are known as PowerTap. This output is standard for numerous products, (the Sony DSR cameras have this output on the side of them). If you need to convert another product to the PowerTap, you can purchase PowerTap connectors or Conversion cables to use with your gear. http://www.antonbauer.com/ultralight_accessories.htm#power

Ed Liew September 30th, 2004 03:49 PM

michael,

yes the black plate is the magiqcam mount and there is no hole for mounting, so you have to drill it yourself.
not sure of the model number but it is normally refer to as gold mount. maybe, bob can help on this one.

ed