HELP! Stedicam Merlin + Canon 5D MK II + 24-70mm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP! Stedicam Merlin + Canon 5D MK II + 24-70mm

Does any know a recipe that I can use for the Stedicam Merlin + Canon 5D MK II + 24-70mm? I can definitely work out something on my own, but I just wanted to know if anyone had already done this.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

~ Charles
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Trustee

Charles, I highly suggest you use a quick release adapter with a big rubber base. Otherwise the 5D2 will slip easily no matter how much tightening is done. I have had success with the Slik DQ-L mounted in a horizontal manner but I'm using a different lens.

The trick is to put enough weights with a fully opened spar. then start doing quick side to side movements to check if the stage rocks. That is likely due to overweight (weights cant move fast enough to keep up with camera). Start closing in the spar and repeat the side to side test. Once it is balanced, it should not rock. Good luck!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baisden View Post
Does any know a recipe that I can use for the Stedicam Merlin + Canon 5D MK II + 24-70mm?
you won't be able to balance this set without extender plate,
the lens is so heavy, you need to shift CG back for about 3 inches beyond the Merlin's base plate,
I would recommend you to use prime lenses for the merlin shots with 5D2
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Do you know where we can get the extender plate? I have tried multiple search queries on google and looked on the tiffen pages but cant find anything.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Perhaps is this, I don't know.
Merlin | Accessory Plate | B&H Photo Video
Carlos Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks but that's not it. That is to be instead of weights on the bottom of the arc. You attach wireless mics etc. to it using velcro.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't know if you can find one, but you definitely cam make one, cuz it's just a metal plate with the holes; with the sole purpose to shift camcorder’s CG beyond mounting plate of stedicam;
I wouldn't use 24-70 on steadicam just because every time you change your working distance you need to make adjustment to the balance, but if it's the only lens you have now - you gotta do whatcha gotta do;
here is my extender for the 24-70 lens on merlin, made out of spare parts from sima LED light, I got a few of them, they small and light, rechargeable and not expensive,
don't rely on screws from merlin and sima part, I used those just to try how they work, but i wouldn't use them on the long run;
also you need to replace plastic G-platz screw, it's not long enough and with that lens belive me you'll need it
Charles Baisden, just for you :) - Canon 5Dmkii+24-70mm on Merlin on Vimeo

best
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #8
New Boot

Almost done...

Thanks for sharing these infos..
May you post also weights, mounting hole, arc size and Z?
I've made the modifications and trying to find the balance..
Thanks
Asa Phelps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)